How do gas reactions affect volume in a fixed container?

In summary, the volume of a gas in a fixed container can change when the number of moles changes in a reaction.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I am looking at reactions that change volume during the reaction, for example ammonia synthesis

[tex] N_{2} + 3H_{2} \rightleftharpoons 2NH_{3} [/tex]

where it is clear that the products are less moles than the reactants. However, I am thinking of a scenario in a plug flow reactor where this is happening. How can it be that the volume is changing? Aren't the gases just going to occupy the space in the PFR, therefore the volume is constant? Same thing really for a batch reactor too, I mean just because a gas reacts to form less moles, it should still have the volume of its vessel, therefore not change??

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'll give you the answer for a batch reactor, and then, maybe you can figure it out for a PFR.

If the number of moles changes, it doesn't have to be the volume that is affected. It can also be the pressure. In a batch reactor, the mass density remains constant, but the molar density changes. This causes a change in the pressure.

Chet

So again, I suppose the molar density would change just as well in a PFR, so the pressure and/or temperature would change. If the volume of a PFR is a fixed vessel, and should be constant, then all I see is a change in moles to maintain the equality PV = nRT requires either P or T to change. But the lecture/book is actually talking about a change in volume, very specifically. I don't get how the volume of a gas in a fixed container can change, no matter what the reaction is.

Maylis said:
So again, I suppose the molar density would change just as well in a PFR, so the pressure and/or temperature would change. If the volume of a PFR is a fixed vessel, and should be constant, then all I see is a change in moles to maintain the equality PV = nRT requires either P or T to change. But the lecture/book is actually talking about a change in volume, very specifically. I don't get how the volume of a gas in a fixed container can change, no matter what the reaction is.
Well, a PFR for a reaction like this is very different from the case of a batch reactor. But, we can figure out what is going on in the PFR by letting the mathematics help us.

Suppose we have a PFR with the reaction B + 3C --> 2D, where B, C, and D are gaseous species. We are going to assume that the shear stress at the wall is very small so that the pressure gradient along the tube is very low, in which case the total pressure P is constant at the inlet pressure throughout the reactor. We are also going to assume that the heat of reaction is zero, so that the temperature throughout the reactor is constant at the inlet temperature T. We are going to assume ideal gas behavior, and that B, C, and D comprise the entire flow stream. Let x be the axial position along the reactor, and let v(x) represent the axial velocity a position x. Let A be the cross sectional area of the tube. Let yB(x), yc(x), and yd(x) represent the mole fractions of the three species, and let Mb, Mc, and Md represent the molecular weights of the three species.

For an ideal gas, in terms of the mole fractions, what are the partial pressures of B, C, and D at a given location x along the reactor? What are the molar densities of the three species at a given location x along the reactor? What are the mass densities of the three species at a given location x along the reactor? What is the total mass density ##\rho (x)##of the gas at a given location x along the reactor?

TO BE CONTINUED

Chet

Dear researcher,

Thank you for your inquiry about gas reactions and their effect on volume in a fixed container. I can provide some insights into this topic.

Firstly, it is important to understand that in a fixed container, the volume remains constant. However, the volume of the gases within the container can change due to the gas reactions that are occurring.

In the example you mentioned, the ammonia synthesis reaction, the number of moles of the products is less than the number of moles of the reactants. This means that the total volume of gases in the container will decrease during the reaction. This is because the molecules of nitrogen and hydrogen are combining to form larger molecules of ammonia, resulting in a decrease in the total number of gas molecules.

In a plug flow reactor, the gases are continuously flowing through the reactor, and as the reaction takes place, the volume of gases will decrease. This is because the gases are being consumed and converted into ammonia, which has a smaller volume compared to the reactants.

In a batch reactor, the volume of the gases may not change as drastically as in a plug flow reactor. This is because in a batch reactor, the gases are not continuously flowing, and the reaction takes place in a closed system. However, there will still be a decrease in volume as the reaction progresses and the gases are consumed.

It is also important to consider the temperature and pressure of the system, as these factors can affect the volume of gases. For instance, an increase in temperature can cause gases to expand, resulting in an increase in volume, while an increase in pressure can cause gases to compress, resulting in a decrease in volume.

In conclusion, gas reactions can indeed affect the volume in a fixed container, as the number of moles of gases can change during the reaction. However, the overall volume of the container will remain constant. I hope this explanation helps to clarify your doubts. Thank you.

1. How does the volume change with a chemical reaction?

The volume change with a chemical reaction depends on the type of reaction and the substances involved. In general, the volume can increase, decrease, or remain constant. For example, when two or more substances react to form a gas, the volume will increase due to the production of additional molecules. On the other hand, if a gas is consumed during the reaction, the volume will decrease.

2. What factors can affect the volume change in a chemical reaction?

The volume change in a chemical reaction can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants and products. Additionally, the physical state of the reactants and products (solid, liquid, gas) can also play a role in the volume change.

3. How can the volume change be measured during a chemical reaction?

The volume change during a chemical reaction can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as a gas syringe, burette, or graduated cylinder. These tools allow for the precise measurement of the volume of gas produced or consumed during the reaction.

4. Can the volume change with reaction be predicted?

In many cases, the volume change with reaction can be predicted based on the balanced chemical equation and the molar ratios of reactants and products. However, other factors such as temperature and pressure may also need to be considered in order to accurately predict the volume change.

5. How does the volume change with reaction impact the overall reaction rate?

The volume change with reaction can have a significant impact on the overall reaction rate. For reactions that produce gas, increasing the volume can decrease the pressure and slow down the reaction. On the other hand, decreasing the volume can increase the pressure and speed up the reaction. Additionally, changes in volume can also affect the concentration of reactants, which can also impact the reaction rate.