Volume control in mobile phones

In summary: If the speaker is in series with the potentiometer (pot) then that is so, but you can also put the pot in a voltage divider with the speaker in parallel.Note: "resistivity" is a material property, it is possible for two resistors to have the same resistance and different resistivities (they will have different dimensions).
Ansuman
I have used many mobile phones and controlled volume on them but I have never been able to figure out how the volume increases or decreases, i.e, what actually happens in a circuit board or other parts present in the phones when we are controlling the volume which ultimately leads to speakers giving out low or high sounds ??

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
There are a lot of ways to control volume - even in mobile phones - it usually involves physically changing the value of a resistance in the physical circuit.

The easiest way to do this digitally is to change the path that the current takes through a whole lot of very small resisters in an integrated circuit.

Actually I do not thnkink they are using resistance - too inefficient. I am pretty sure it using all switchmode amplifiers - and it is all controlled digitally.

In cell phones some models use variable current oscillators.
Some however in volume still use potentiometers.

Mordred said:
In cell phones some models use variable current oscillators.
Some however in volume still use potentiometers.
If I am not wrong the potentiometers use variable resistors to change the electrical current going to a speaker, when the resistivity is more the volume is less, i may tend to be wrong, i have just passed 9th and am working on a project to adjust volume in the earphones...

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
There are a lot of ways to control volume - even in mobile phones - it usually involves physically changing the value of a resistance in the physical circuit.

The easiest way to do this digitally is to change the path that the current takes through a whole lot of very small resisters in an integrated circuit.

that is how a potentiometer works, right ? i am not sure though

Ansuman said:
If I am not wrong the potentiometers use variable resistors to change the electrical current going to a speaker, when the resistivity is more the volume is less, i may tend to be wrong, i have just passed 9th and am working on a project to adjust volume in the earphones...
If the speaker is in series with the potentiometer (pot) then that is so, but you can also put the pot in a voltage divider with the speaker in parallel.

Note: "resistivity" is a material property, it is possible for two resistors to have the same resistance and different resistivities (they will have different dimensions).

Ansuman said:
that is how a potentiometer works, right ? i am not sure though
A pot is usually a continuous band of constant resistivity with a contact point. The distance between the sliding contact and one end of the band determines the resistance.

Digital circuits don't do continuous stuff ... the volume has to correspond to a digital number.

You could imagine a series of resistors R connected by switches so that position 0 connects to the next resistor and position 1 connects to the speakers input rail. The other end of the speaker is grounded.

Lets say there are 4 resistors, then the state of the switches is represented by a 4-bit binary number.
0000 means Rtot=0
0001 means Rtot=R
but so does 0011, 0111, and 1111 (draw the circuit to see why)

0010 means Rtot=2R
0100 means Rtot=3R
1000 means Rtot=4R
... if you want more than 4 volume levels, then use more switches and resistors.

This is far too simple - there are lots of other ways of doing it and actual circuits will be more complicated as well as different between different devices. I'm intending it as an easy-to-understand example of the kind of thinking you need rather than an example of what actually happens in real life.

Be aware that the details of how a particular manufacturer's circuit works may be proprietary information - we can only talk, in general, about what sort of thing gets done.

Simon Bridge said:
If the speaker is in series with the potentiometer (pot) then that is so, but you can also put the pot in a voltage divider with the speaker in parallel.

Note: "resistivity" is a material property, it is possible for two resistors to have the same resistance and different resistivities (they will have different dimensions).

A pot is usually a continuous band of constant resistivity with a contact point. The distance between the sliding contact and one end of the band determines the resistance.

Digital circuits don't do continuous stuff ... the volume has to correspond to a digital number.

You could imagine a series of resistors R connected by switches so that position 0 connects to the next resistor and position 1 connects to the speakers input rail. The other end of the speaker is grounded.

Lets say there are 4 resistors, then the state of the switches is represented by a 4-bit binary number.
0000 means Rtot=0
0001 means Rtot=R
but so does 0011, 0111, and 1111 (draw the circuit to see why)

0010 means Rtot=2R
0100 means Rtot=3R
1000 means Rtot=4R
... if you want more than 4 volume levels, then use more switches and resistors.

This is far too simple - there are lots of other ways of doing it and actual circuits will be more complicated as well as different between different devices. I'm intending it as an easy-to-understand example of the kind of thinking you need rather than an example of what actually happens in real life.

Be aware that the details of how a particular manufacturer's circuit works may be proprietary information - we can only talk, in general, about what sort of thing gets done.

Thank you very much, you really explain well but just one more doubt, the volume of different levels are obtained by connecting different resistors ( by switches) , in my project i want to change the volume by sending an electrical signal ( about 40-100 mW [miliwatts] ), without any manual effort ( in simple terms can electrical signals replace manual switches )can I do so ??

see there are various ways to control volume but the best way can be explained as follow,,,,
source of production is same hence volume is controlled using amplifiers to increase or decrease the extent of sound ,,we call it as volume

Ansuman said:
Thank you very much, you really explain well but just one more doubt, the volume of different levels are obtained by connecting different resistors ( by switches) , in my project i want to change the volume by sending an electrical signal ( about 40-100 mW [miliwatts] ),
Well why didn't you say so?
without any manual effort ( in simple terms can electrical signals replace manual switches )can I do so ??
Errrr... you didn't understand: the situation I described before: the switches are not manual.
They would be digital circuits etched into the integrated circuit inside the cell-phone.

In what you describe - the details depend on exactly what you want to do - you could, for eg. just use the current to drive an electric motor that turns the crank-shaft of a pot.

You should have a look at your amplifier circuit - what part of the circuit controls the volume?
Replace that with something that changes electronically.
But the short answer is "yes", you can get an electronic signal to set the volume level.

Simon Bridge said:
Well why didn't you say so?
Errrr... you didn't understand: the situation I described before: the switches are not manual.
They would be digital circuits etched into the integrated circuit inside the cell-phone.

In what you describe - the details depend on exactly what you want to do - you could, for eg. just use the current to drive an electric motor that turns the crank-shaft of a pot.

You should have a look at your amplifier circuit - what part of the circuit controls the volume?
Replace that with something that changes electronically.
But the short answer is "yes", you can get an electronic signal to set the volume level.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help...

1. How do I adjust the volume on my mobile phone?

To adjust the volume on your mobile phone, you can use the physical volume buttons on the side of your device. Alternatively, you can go into your phone's settings and adjust the volume under the "Sound" or "Audio" section.

2. Why is my mobile phone volume not working?

There can be a few reasons why your mobile phone volume is not working. First, make sure that your phone is not on silent or vibrate mode. Next, check that the volume is turned up and that your phone's speakers are not blocked by a case or cover. If the issue persists, there may be a software or hardware problem that requires further troubleshooting.

3. Can I adjust the volume for individual apps on my mobile phone?

Yes, most mobile phones have the option to adjust the volume for individual apps. This can be done by going into the app's settings or by using the volume controls while the app is open. Some phones also have a feature that allows you to set different volume levels for different apps.

4. How do I make my mobile phone ring louder?

To make your mobile phone ring louder, you can adjust the volume settings as mentioned above. You can also try turning on the "Extra Volume" or "Loud Ring" feature, which is available on some phones. If you are still having trouble hearing your phone ring, you may want to consider using a louder ringtone or using a vibration alert.

5. Is there a way to set a maximum volume limit on my mobile phone?

Yes, many mobile phones have the option to set a maximum volume limit. This is particularly useful for parents who want to limit their child's exposure to loud noises. You can usually find this option under the "Sound" or "Audio" section in your phone's settings. Keep in mind that this limit may also affect the overall volume for phone calls and other audio on your device.