Why Are Volume Current Densities Zero on the Surface of Current-Carrying Objects?

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of volume current densities and their properties on the surface of current-carrying objects. The speaker has been reading a book on Electrodynamics and is seeking an explanation for why the surface current density is zero. They receive a response stating that if the current is contained in a finite volume, the surface integral will always vanish. The speaker then asks if this is still the case if the volume of integration is the same as the current-carrying body, to which the response is no.
WWCY
Hi all,

I have been reading Griffiths' book on Electrodynamics and have come across a point (image attached below) where he states that volume current densities are 0 on the surface of the current-carrying objects. He then uses these properties in pretty-important integrals.

However, I couldn't seem to find any explanation (physical or mathematical) in the book as to why it was the case. What exactly am I missing?

Thanks in advance!
Screenshot 2019-01-24 at 12.40.14 AM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-24 at 12.40.14 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-24 at 12.40.14 AM.png
    30 KB · Views: 344
Physics news on Phys.org
If you assume all the current is contained in some finite volume, then - as he says - you can always consider a larger volume, on which the surface integral must vanish

Hi, thank you for your response.

PeroK said:
If you assume all the current is contained in some finite volume, then - as he says - you can always consider a larger volume, on which the surface integral must vanish

Ah okay, it makes sense. However, if I choose to select the volume of integration such that it is exactly that of the current carrying body, will I still get ##J=0## for the surface integral?

No. Only the integral (containing ##\vec {\bf J}\cdot\vec {d\bf a}\ ##) vanishes

Likes WWCY and PeroK

What is volume current density?

Volume current density is a measure of the flow of electric charge through a given area over a period of time. It is represented by the symbol J and is measured in units of amperes per square meter (A/m²).

How is volume current density different from surface current density?

Volume current density refers to the flow of electric charge through a three-dimensional volume, while surface current density refers to the flow of charge through a two-dimensional surface. Volume current density is often used in analyzing the behavior of electric currents in a three-dimensional space, while surface current density is used to analyze currents on the surface of a conductor.

What factors affect volume current density?

The factors that affect volume current density include the magnitude of the electric current, the cross-sectional area of the conductor, and the resistivity of the material. Other factors such as temperature and the presence of magnetic fields can also affect volume current density.

How is volume current density calculated?

Volume current density is calculated by dividing the electric current (I) by the cross-sectional area (A) of the conductor. The formula for volume current density is J = I/A. This calculation assumes that the current is uniformly distributed throughout the cross-sectional area of the conductor.

Why is volume current density important in electromagnetism?

Volume current density is important in electromagnetism because it helps us understand the behavior of electric currents in three-dimensional space. It is also used in the calculation of magnetic fields, which are generated by the flow of electric current. In addition, volume current density is a key concept in the study of electromagnetic waves and their propagation through space.