What is the volume enclosed by the parabolic cylinder and two planes?

In summary, the problem asks to find the volume of the solid enclosed by the parabolic cylinder y=10 - a2x2 and the planes z=y and z=2-y, where a > 0 is a constant. The issue is that there is no single closed solid formed by these surfaces, so it is not clear which volume is being sought. Using a=2 as an example, it is important to differentiate between the equations z=10 - a^2y^2 and y=10 - a^2x^2 in order to properly set up the integrals for the volume calculation.
fishingspree2

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid enclosed by the parabolic cylinder y=10 - a2x2 and the planes z=y and z=2-y, where a > 0 is a constant.

Homework Equations

I have graphed the 3 surfaces on Maple to visualize the solid enclosed by these surfaces but the problem is there is no closed solid. There is not one single closed solid formed so I really don't know which volume we are looking for. Computing the volume of an unclosed solid would give me an infinite volume, which I am sure is not what the question asks. Can someone please help me?

2rrnxxh.jpg

using a =2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think maybe you have graphed z=10 - a^2y^2, rather than y=10 - a^2x^2

then you will need to separate into 2 integrals, depending on which plane is the bound

1. What is the definition of volume enclosed by surfaces?

The volume enclosed by surfaces refers to the amount of space contained within a closed boundary formed by multiple surfaces or shapes. It is commonly measured in cubic units such as cubic meters or cubic centimeters.

2. How is the volume enclosed by surfaces calculated?

The volume enclosed by surfaces can be calculated by using different formulas depending on the shapes involved. For example, the volume of a cube can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height, while the volume of a cylinder can be calculated by multiplying the base area and height.

3. What is the importance of calculating the volume enclosed by surfaces?

Calculating the volume enclosed by surfaces is important in many fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows for the accurate determination of quantities such as mass, density, and pressure, which are essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of various systems.

4. How does the volume enclosed by surfaces affect buoyancy?

The volume enclosed by surfaces plays a crucial role in determining the buoyancy force of an object. According to Archimedes' principle, an object immersed in a fluid experiences an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. The greater the volume of the object, the greater the buoyancy force.

5. Can the volume enclosed by surfaces change?

Yes, the volume enclosed by surfaces can change depending on various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the addition or removal of material. For example, when a gas is heated, its volume increases, and when it is cooled, its volume decreases. Similarly, the volume of a balloon can be changed by adding or releasing air from it.