Volume expansion

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
I have no idea how to solve this problem. I feel like I need more information.

For one the new height of the liquid should depends on the volume expansion of the glass tube. I am not given any dimensions of the glass tube other than it's height.

Therefore if I am to believe that only the height of the tube changes then the change in height of the liquid does not depend on the length of expansion of the tube, it would only depend on the expansion of the cross sectional surface area of the tube, But I am not given such information.

Therefore I believe (if only the vertical height of the tube changes) then I will need to compare the change in vertical height to the change in volume of the liquid.

Anyways, I am lost... someone help.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Maybe you can use this as a manual...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=369840
The equation in the thread does not give me the correct answer

(The change in height of liquid in the tube I dont believe equal to the change in volume of the liquid over the new area of the tube, which is what the equation is saying. The change in height of liquid should be equal to the change in volume of liquid over the change in area of tube)

OK, then you can propably use this relation

[itex]h=\frac{V}{A}=\frac{V_o}{A_o}\left(\frac{1+\beta_l \Delta T}{1+2\alpha_g\Delta T}\right)[/itex]

so you can try and see if it works out...

Last edited: