Help Solving a Volume Expansion Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the change in height of a liquid in a glass tube due to volume expansion. However, there is limited information provided about the dimensions of the glass tube, making it difficult to calculate. One suggestion is to use an equation from a forum thread, but it does not give the correct answer. Another equation is proposed, but it is unclear if it will work.
Miike012
I have no idea how to solve this problem. I feel like I need more information.

For one the new height of the liquid should depends on the volume expansion of the glass tube. I am not given any dimensions of the glass tube other than it's height.

Therefore if I am to believe that only the height of the tube changes then the change in height of the liquid does not depend on the length of expansion of the tube, it would only depend on the expansion of the cross sectional surface area of the tube, But I am not given such information.

Therefore I believe (if only the vertical height of the tube changes) then I will need to compare the change in vertical height to the change in volume of the liquid.

Anyways, I am lost... someone help.

Attachments

• BBB.jpg
    BBB.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 334
Physics news on Phys.org
janhaa said:
Maybe you can use this as a manual...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=369840

The equation in the thread does not give me the correct answer

(The change in height of liquid in the tube I don't believe equal to the change in volume of the liquid over the new area of the tube, which is what the equation is saying. The change in height of liquid should be equal to the change in volume of liquid over the change in area of tube)

OK, then you can propably use this relation

[itex]h=\frac{V}{A}=\frac{V_o}{A_o}\left(\frac{1+\beta_l \Delta T}{1+2\alpha_g\Delta T}\right)[/itex]

so you can try and see if it works out...

Last edited:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your volume expansion problem. It sounds like you are on the right track by considering the dimensions of the glass tube and the expansion of its cross-sectional surface area. However, as you mentioned, without more information it is difficult to provide a specific solution.

To accurately solve this problem, we would need to know the initial volume and height of the liquid in the tube, as well as the material and dimensions of the tube itself. This would allow us to calculate the change in volume and height after the tube expands.

In general, when dealing with volume expansion problems, it is important to consider the coefficient of thermal expansion, which is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts with a change in temperature. This coefficient can vary depending on the material, so it would be helpful to know the specific material of the glass tube in order to calculate the change in volume.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or need more information, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your problem-solving!

What is volume expansion?

Volume expansion is the increase in the size or volume of a substance when its temperature is increased. This is due to the particles in the substance gaining kinetic energy and moving further apart, thus increasing the overall volume.

What is the formula for calculating volume expansion?

The formula for calculating volume expansion is V2 = V1(1 + αΔT), where V2 is the final volume, V1 is the initial volume, α is the coefficient of volume expansion, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

How do you determine the coefficient of volume expansion for a substance?

The coefficient of volume expansion for a substance can be determined experimentally by measuring the change in volume for a given change in temperature. It can also be calculated using the formula α = (V2 - V1)/(V1ΔT), where V2 and V1 are the final and initial volumes, respectively, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What is the unit for coefficient of volume expansion?

The unit for coefficient of volume expansion is 1/K (inverse kelvin) or 1/°C (inverse degree Celsius). This unit represents the change in volume per unit change in temperature.

What factors can affect volume expansion?

The volume expansion of a substance can be affected by factors such as the type of material, its physical state (solid, liquid, or gas), the temperature range, and the presence of impurities. Pressure can also have a small effect on the volume expansion of gases.