Volume for Triple Integral

In summary, the volume of the solid bounded by the graphs of the equations x = 4 - y^2, z = 0, z = x can be found using a triple integral. By setting up the integral, it is clear that x must be greater than or equal to 0. The volume can also be found using Volumes By Slicing, where the slices can be perpendicular or parallel to the xy-plane. The volume can also be calculated using double integrals, with vertical or horizontal slices.
harpazo
Use a triple integral to find the volume of the solid bounded by the graphs of the equations.

x = 4 - y^2, z = 0, z = x

I need help setting up the triple integral for the volume. I will do the rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Harpazo said:
Use a triple integral to find the volume of the solid bounded by the graphs of the equations.

x = 4 - y^2, z = 0, z = x

I need help setting up the triple integral for the volume. I will do the rest.

Well we can clearly see that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq z \leq x \end{align*}$, so that also means that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x \geq 0 \end{align*}$. Now since x is bounded above by $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 4 - y^2 \end{align*}$, a parabola with y intercepts -2 and 2, that means that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq x \leq 4 - y^2 \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} -2 \leq y \leq 2 \end{align*}$. So the volume is

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} V &= \int_{-2}^2{\int_0^{4 - y^2}{\int_0^x{\,\mathrm{d}z}\,\mathrm{d}x}\,\mathrm{d}y} \end{align*}$

Can you go from here?

As a review, there are several other ways to find the given volume. From Calc I, recall "Volumes By Slicing."

If we use slices perpendicular to the $xy$-plane, and parallel to the $x$-axis, we find an arbitrary slice is a right-isosceles triangle, whose legs are $x$ in length. And so the volume of such a slice is:

\(\displaystyle dV=\frac{1}{2}x^2\,dy=\frac{1}{2}(4-y^2)^2\,dy=\frac{1}{2}(16-8y^2+y^4)\,dy\)

Summing the slices via integration (and using the even-function rule), we find:

\(\displaystyle V=\int_0^2 16-8y^2+y^4\,dy=\left[16y-\frac{8}{3}y^3+\frac{1}{5}y^5\right]_0^2=\frac{1}{15}\left(240(2)-40(8)+3(32)\right)=\frac{256}{15}\)

If we use slices perpendicular to the $xy$-plane, and parallel to the $y$-axis, we find an arbitrary slice is a rectangle, whose base is $2y$ and whose height is $x$. And so the volume of such a slice is:

\(\displaystyle dV=2xy\,dx=2x\sqrt{4-x}\,dx\)

Summing the slices via integration, we find:

\(\displaystyle V=2\int_0^4 x\sqrt{4-x}\,dx\)

Use the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=4-x\implies du=-dx\)

\(\displaystyle V=2\int_0^4 (4-u)u^{\frac{1}{2}}\,du=2\int_0^4 4u^{\frac{1}{2}}-u^{\frac{3}{2}}\,du=2\left[\frac{8}{3}u^{\frac{3}{2}}-\frac{2}{5}u^{\frac{5}{2}}\right]_0^4=\frac{2}{15}\left(40(8)-6(32)\right)=\frac{256}{15}\)

If we use slices that are parallel to the $xy$-plane, then we find these slices are parabolic segments. So, we need to find the area of such a segment:

\(\displaystyle A=2\int_0^{\sqrt{h}} h-x^2\,dx=2\left[hx-\frac{1}{3}x^3\right]_0^{\sqrt{h}}=\frac{4}{3}h^{\frac{3}{2}}\)

Thus, the volume of an arbitrary slice is:

\(\displaystyle dV=\frac{4}{3}(4-z)^{\frac{3}{2}}\,dz\)

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{4}{3}\int_0^4 (4-z)^{\frac{3}{2}}\,dz\)

Let:

\(\displaystyle u=4-z\implies du=-dz\)

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{4}{3}\int_0^4 u^{\frac{3}{2}}\,du=\frac{8}{15}\left[u^{\frac{5}{2}}\right]_0^4=\frac{256}{15}\)

Double integral - vertical slices:

\(\displaystyle V=2\int_0^4 x\int_0^{\sqrt{4-x}} \,dy\,dx=2\int_0^4 x\sqrt{4-x}\,dx=\frac{256}{15}\)

Double integral - horizontal slices:

\(\displaystyle V=2\int_0^2\int_0^{4-y^2} x\,dx\,dy=\int_0^2 (4-y^2)^2\,dy=\frac{256}{15}\)

Prove It said:
Well we can clearly see that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq z \leq x \end{align*}$, so that also means that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x \geq 0 \end{align*}$. Now since x is bounded above by $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 4 - y^2 \end{align*}$, a parabola with y intercepts -2 and 2, that means that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq x \leq 4 - y^2 \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} -2 \leq y \leq 2 \end{align*}$. So the volume is

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} V &= \int_{-2}^2{\int_0^{4 - y^2}{\int_0^x{\,\mathrm{d}z}\,\mathrm{d}x}\,\mathrm{d}y} \end{align*}$

Can you go from here?

Yes, I can go from here. You did not explain why x is greater than or equal to 0. I want to understand this a little more.

MarkFL said:
As a review, there are several other ways to find the given volume. From Calc I, recall "Volumes By Slicing."

If we use slices perpendicular to the $xy$-plane, and parallel to the $x$-axis, we find an arbitrary slice is a right-isosceles triangle, whose legs are $x$ in length. And so the volume of such a slice is:

\(\displaystyle dV=\frac{1}{2}x^2\,dy=\frac{1}{2}(4-y^2)^2\,dy=\frac{1}{2}(16-8y^2+y^4)\,dy\)

Summing the slices via integration (and using the even-function rule), we find:

\(\displaystyle V=\int_0^2 16-8y^2+y^4\,dy=\left[16y-\frac{8}{3}y^3+\frac{1}{5}y^5\right]_0^2=\frac{1}{15}\left(240(2)-40(8)+3(32)\right)=\frac{256}{15}\)

If we use slices perpendicular to the $xy$-plane, and parallel to the $y$-axis, we find an arbitrary slice is a rectangle, whose base is $2y$ and whose height is $x$. And so the volume of such a slice is:

\(\displaystyle dV=2xy\,dx=2x\sqrt{4-x}\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle V=2\int_0^4 x\sqrt{4-x}\,dx\)

Use the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=4-x\implies du=-dx\)

\(\displaystyle V=2\int_0^4 (4-u)u^{\frac{1}{2}}\,du=2\int_0^4 4u^{\frac{1}{2}}-u^{\frac{3}{2}}\,du=2\left[\frac{8}{3}u^{\frac{3}{2}}-\frac{2}{5}u^{\frac{5}{2}}\right]_0^4=\frac{2}{15}\left(40(8)-6(32)\right)=\frac{256}{15}\)

If we use slices that are parallel to the $xy$-plane, then we find these slices are parabolic segments. So, we need to find the area of such a segment:

\(\displaystyle A=2\int_0^{\sqrt{h}} h-x^2\,dx=2\left[hx-\frac{1}{3}x^3\right]_0^{\sqrt{h}}=\frac{4}{3}h^{\frac{3}{2}}\)

Thus, the volume of an arbitrary slice is:

\(\displaystyle dV=\frac{4}{3}(4-z)^{\frac{3}{2}}\,dz\)

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{4}{3}\int_0^4 (4-z)^{\frac{3}{2}}\,dz\)

Let:

\(\displaystyle u=4-z\implies du=-dz\)

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{4}{3}\int_0^4 u^{\frac{3}{2}}\,du=\frac{8}{15}\left[u^{\frac{5}{2}}\right]_0^4=\frac{256}{15}\)

Double integral - vertical slices:

\(\displaystyle V=2\int_0^4 x\int_0^{\sqrt{4-x}} \,dy\,dx=2\int_0^4 x\sqrt{4-x}\,dx=\frac{256}{15}\)

Double integral - horizontal slices:

\(\displaystyle V=2\int_0^2\int_0^{4-y^2} x\,dx\,dy=\int_0^2 (4-y^2)^2\,dy=\frac{256}{15}\)

You are truly gifted. Thank you very much.

Harpazo said:
Yes, I can go from here. You did not explain why x is greater than or equal to 0. I want to understand this a little more.

Yes I did, $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq z \leq x \end{align*}$ literally says $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq x \end{align*}$!

Prove It said:
Yes I did, $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq z \leq x \end{align*}$ literally says $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq x \end{align*}$!

Sorry but I do not get it.

Maybe a visual will help ...

Dark green surface is the plane $z=x$.

Light green surface is the plane $z=0$.

Purple surface is the parabola $x=4-y^2$

purple "wedge" in octants I and IV between the two planes is the solid of interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone.

What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region in space.

What is the formula for calculating volume using a triple integral?

The formula for calculating volume using a triple integral is ∭f(x,y,z) dV, where f(x,y,z) is the function being integrated and dV represents an infinitesimal volume element.

How is a triple integral different from a regular integral?

A triple integral is different from a regular integral in that it involves integrating over a three-dimensional region instead of a one-dimensional interval. It also has three variables of integration instead of one.

What are the limits of integration in a triple integral?

The limits of integration in a triple integral depend on the shape and orientation of the three-dimensional region being integrated over. They are typically determined by the boundaries of the region and can be expressed in terms of the variables x, y, and z.

What are some real-world applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the volume of a solid object, determine the mass of a three-dimensional shape, or solve problems involving fluid flow and electric fields.