Maintaining Volume in a Cylinder: Solving for the Necessary Radius Adjustment

• Thread starter Paradiselovek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the problem is to determine the necessary decrease in radius of a can in order to maintain the same volume after increasing the height by 30%. The equation for volume of a cylinder is used to set up an equation, r^2 h = 1.3 (r0)^2 h, where r0 represents the new radius. The solution for r0 can then be found to determine the required decrease in radius.
Paradiselovek
please help me thank you so much ^^(I need help quick before the due date thanks)

Here the problem:

A soup company decides to increase the height of its can by 30% but to maintain their present volume. To the nearest percent, how much must the radius of the can be decreased to hold the volume constant.

(there a picture of the can which is a plain cyclinder)

I try working backward for the equation to find the volume of a cyclinder
, but i really don't know if I got that right. please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
So the volume for a cylinder is pi r^2 h. Since we're increasing the height by 30%, this just means that we multiply h by 1.3 to get the new height. So let's call h the original height, and V the volume. Then we have:

V = pi r^2 h = pi (r0)^2 (1.3h), and we need to solve for r0, which is our new radius. Clearly, pi doesn't factor in so we have the equation r^2 h = 1.3 (r0)^2 h. I take it you can solve for r0.

phreak said:
So the volume for a cylinder is pi r^2 h. Since we're increasing the height by 30%, this just means that we multiply h by 1.3 to get the new height. So let's call h the original height, and V the volume. Then we have:

V = pi r^2 h = pi (r0)^2 (1.3h), and we need to solve for r0, which is our new radius. Clearly, pi doesn't factor in so we have the equation r^2 h = 1.3 (r0)^2 h. I take it you can solve for r0.

Oh thanks but I still don't get why is it r0?

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder is V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the cylinder's base and h is the height of the cylinder. This formula is derived from the mathematical concept of π (pi) and the area of a circle.

2. How do you measure the radius and height of a cylinder?

The radius of a cylinder can be measured by finding the distance from the center of the circular base to the edge of the base. The height of a cylinder can be measured by finding the distance from one end of the cylinder to the other along its central axis.

3. Can the volume of a cylinder be calculated using any unit of measurement?

Yes, as long as the units are consistent, the volume of a cylinder can be calculated using any unit of measurement. For example, if the radius is measured in inches, the height should also be measured in inches to get the volume in cubic inches.

4. How is the volume of a cylinder different from the volume of a cone or sphere?

The volume of a cylinder is different from the volume of a cone or sphere because a cylinder has two circular bases and a consistent height, while a cone has one circular base and a slanted height, and a sphere has no distinct bases or height.

5. Can the volume of a cylinder be negative?

No, the volume of a cylinder cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space and cannot be negative because it represents a physical quantity. If the calculated volume is negative, it may indicate an error in the measurements or calculations.