1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a cylinder, horizontally

1. Sep 28, 2004 #1
    i posted a question earlier, but, the heart of the matter has been narrowed down. this question is much more straightforward than the details in the other one. what i want to know is how to obtain the volume of a cylinder of radius r and height h by integration.
    EASY. if you divide it into disks and add them up. no problem. i need the volume when it is divided into rectangles. as in, the cylinder is lying on it's side.

try and try i might, i always end up with either the square root of a negative number, or the entire integral turns out to equal zero.

also, even though i know the integral should equal pi r^2 h, i don't see how to get pi into the equation. the only way i can see to define the width of the rectangles is by using the pythagorean thereom on a general triangle on the sides of the cylinder. any insight into this would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why don't you try something simpler first to get a handle on it? Try using rectangular coordinates to find the area of a circle.

4. Sep 28, 2004 #3
    hm, good thinking. i think i've done that before, but i will do it again. perhaps that will shed some light on this. this problem is just getting narrowed down thinner and thinner.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  5. Sep 28, 2004 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Show what you have done.

ehild

6. Sep 28, 2004 #5
    it took me a couple minutes to realize, this was the problem. i looked, and saw it was a simple trig substitution. i kid you not, i have spent, in the past 4 days, over 8 hours, solid, on and off, sometimes 2 hours at a time, wrestling with this problem. and it was a trig substitution the entire time that i was missing. that is why i couldn't integrate the cursed square root.

i feel like, overwhelmingly, stupid.

thank you very much for that advice, i am now on the right track. i wish i would have known this much much sooner.

thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?