Volume of a partially full fuel tank

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a partially full cylindrical tank with a length of 6 feet and a diameter of 4 feet. The formula for calculating the volume of a full cylindrical tank is given, as well as the conversion from cubic feet to gallons. The question arises about the volume when the fuel is one foot or 10 inches off the bottom of the tank, and the problem is determined to be a standard problem in integral calculus. The conversation continues with an explanation of how to calculate the volume using layers of different heights and rectangles, and the use of an integral to find the total volume. The final part of the conversation discusses the policy of not giving answers to homework and the request for the answer to how many gallons
Tregg Smith

Homework Statement

Finding the volume of a partially full cylindrical tank that lies on it's length. L=6', D=4"

Homework Equations

pi r sq times L = cu ft when full. Convert to gallons 1 gal. =
.1336 cu. ft. (I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

(pi r sq times L)/2 = when half full

How about when the fuel is one foot off the bottom? Is this simply (pi r sq times L)/4 ?

How about when the fuel is 10" off the bottom?

The volume of this tank is about 560 gal. which is way too much for the application. Diesel fuel goes bad after a year or two. Only 50 gallons are used each year. If you fill it then you throw out 500 gal. each year. The intake tube from the tank to the generator motor is 6" off the bottom of the tank. I want to know how many gallons to put in the tank that would allow 75 gallons or so to be available-so you would calculate how many gallons are there at 6" then add 75 gallons. That's why I ask is this just a straight line problem where one foot off the bottom equals one fourth of the tanks total capacity etc.? If so then 6" being 1/8 total would be... 560gal/8=70gallons + another 75 gallons=145gal. :rolleyes: To put it another way does the area of a circle decrease linearly as a line touching two points on the circle gets shorter?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you cannot use the formula for volume of a cylinder for part of a cylinder. In fact, this problem is not really "pre-calculus", it is a standard problem in integral calculus.

Imagine the fuel in the cylinder divided into "layers" of different heights. Each layer is a rectangle. The area of the rectangle is "length times width". We can take the length of each rectangle to be the same as the length of the cylinder: h. The width, however, varies with height. If we take x as the height and take x= 0 at the center of the circular end we can write the equation of the circle to be [itex]x^2+ y^2= r^2[/itex] so that [itex]y= \pm\sqrt{r^2- x^2}[/itex]. The width of the rectangular layer is from "circle to circle"- twice y= [itex]2\sqrt{r^2- x^2}[/itex].

The area of each rectangle, then, is "length times width"= [itex]2h\sqrt{r^2- x^2}[/itex]. If we take the thickness of the layer to be the infinitesmal dx, the volume is given by [itex]2h\sqrt{r^2- x^2}dx[/itex]. The entire volume is the integral from the bottom, at x= -r, to the height of the fuel:
[tex]V= 2h\int_{-r}^{2r} \sqrt{r^2- x^2}dx[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx for your help. I don't quite see all of what you're saying-it's been 30 years since I had calculus. In the mean time can you give me the answer to how many gallons are at the six inch level off the tank bottom(before it starts sucking water into the engine-it's dangerously close) then I'll add 75 gal. run time to that.

HallsofIvy said:
No, you cannot use the formula for volume of a cylinder for part of a cylinder. In fact, this problem is not really "pre-calculus", it is a standard problem in integral calculus.

Imagine the fuel in the cylinder divided into "layers" of different heights. Each layer is a rectangle. The area of the rectangle is "length times width". We can take the length of each rectangle to be the same as the length of the cylinder: h. The width, however, varies with height. If we take x as the height and take x= 0 at the center of the circular end we can write the equation of the circle to be [itex]x^2+ y^2= r^2[/itex] so that [itex]y= \pm\sqrt{r^2- x^2}[/itex]. The width of the rectangular layer is from "circle to circle"- twice y= [itex]2\sqrt{r^2- x^2}[/itex].

The area of each rectangle, then, is "length times width"= [itex]2x\sqrt{r^2- x^2}[/itex]. If we take the thickness of the layer to be the infinitesmal dx, the volume is given by [itex]2x\sqrt{r^2- x^2}dx[/itex]. The entire volume is the integral from the bottom, at x= -r, to the height of the fuel:
[tex]V= \int_{-r}^h 2x\sqrt{r^2- x^2}dx[/tex]
It is not difficult to integrate that- use the substitution [itex]u= r^2- x^2[/itex].

There was an error in what I wrote before: I had [itex]2x\sqrt{r^2- x^2}[/itex] when it should have been [itex]2h\sqrt{r^2- x^2}[/itex]- the "h" is the length of the cylinder.

You posted this in the homework section and it is the policy of this forum to not give answers to homework. Are you saying it is not homework?

With h= 6' and D= 4' (you had 4" but surely that's not right? Not if you are asking about the volume when the fuel level is at 6"!), the radius is 2' and 6" above the bottom is 1/2 '. The volume of fuel 6 inches above the bottom is
[tex]2h\int_{-2}^{-3/2}\sqrt{4- x^2}dx[/tex]

The substitution x= 2sin(t) should simplify that.

:smile: No this isn't homework-I'm 62. I think it says homework or homework like questions. I don't understand the symbols. I would just like the answer as to how many gallons are at the 6" level. The diameter is four feet, length six feet.
You posted this in the homework section and it is the policy of this forum to not give answers to homework. Are you saying it is not homework?

With h= 6' and D= 4' (you had 4" but surely that's not right? Not if you are asking about the volume when the fuel level is at 6"!), the radius is 2' and 6" above the bottom is 1/2 '. The volume of fuel 6 inches above the bottom is
[tex]2h\int_{-2}^{-3/2}\sqrt{4- x^2}dx[/tex]

The substitution x= 2sin(t) should simplify that.[/QUOTE]

If you let x= 2 sin(t) the [itex]4- 4 sin^2(t)= 4(1- sin^2(t))= 4cos^2(t)[/itex] so that [itex]\sqrt{4- x^2}= \sqrt{4cos^2(t)}= 2 cos(t)[/itex]. Also dx= 2 cos(t) dt so that [itex]\sqrt{4- x^2} dx= 4 cos^2(t) dt[/itex]

When x= -2= 2sin(t), sin(t)= -1 and [itex]t= -\pi/2[/itex]. When x= 3/2= 2 sin(t), sin(t)= 3/4 so that [itex]t= arcsin(3/4)[/itex]
[tex]\int_{-2}^{3/2}\sqrt{4- x^2}dx= 4\int_{-\pi/2}^{arcsin(3/4)} cos^2(t)dt[/tex]
[tex]= 2\int_{-\pi/2}^{arcsin(3/4)} 1+ cos(t) dt= 2\left(arcsin(3/4)+ \pi/4- 3/4+ \sqrt{2}/2\right)[/tex]

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a partially full fuel tank?

The formula for calculating the volume of a partially full fuel tank is: Volume = (pi * height * (radius^2 - (radius - fuel level)^2)) / 3.

2. How do you measure the height and radius of a partially full fuel tank?

The height of the tank can be measured from the bottom of the tank to the top, while the radius can be measured from one edge of the tank to the center. Alternatively, you can use the diameter of the tank and divide it by 2 to get the radius.

3. Can the volume of a partially full fuel tank be calculated using different units?

Yes, as long as the units are consistent. For example, if the height is measured in meters, then the radius and fuel level should also be measured in meters.

4. How accurate is the calculation of the volume of a partially full fuel tank?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the measurements taken for the height, radius, and fuel level. The formula itself is accurate, but human error in measurement can affect the final result.

5. Does the shape of the fuel tank affect the calculation of its volume?

Yes, the formula for calculating the volume of a partially full fuel tank assumes a cylindrical shape. If the tank has a different shape, such as a rectangular prism, then a different formula would need to be used.