1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a solid by triple integration

1. May 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume of the solid inside the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4 and over the paraboloid 3z = x^2 + y^2

3. The attempt at a solution

This should be easy to calculate using polar coordinates. The limits for z is [r^2/2, sqrt(4-r^2)] and for tetha: [0, 2*pi], but how do I find the limits for r? The intersection between the two surfaces is: sqrt(4 - r^2) = r^2/3. By inspection I can see that the answer is r = sqrt(3), but what is the mathematical method to find this limit?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

You meant cylindrical coordinates, right? Firstly you have the equations r^2 + z^2 = 4 and 3z = r^2. Express z in terms of r and substitute it into the other equation. Then solve for r. You'll get the answer.

4. May 1, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There must be a typo here. You said the parabola was given by 3z= r2.

Don't look at z, look at z2. z= r2/3 implies z2= r4/9. So you have r4/4/9= 4- r2 or r4+ 9x- 36= 0.

That can be factored as (r2- 3)(r2+ 12)= 0 so r2= 3 or r2= -12. The four roots to that equation are [itex]r= \pm\sqrt{3}[/itex] and [itex]r= \pm 2i\sqrt{3}[/itex]. Of course, r must be positive so [itex]r= \sqrt{3}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?