1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of cylinder

1. Nov 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of solid bounded below by plane z = 0 , and above by z = 10 , sides by (x^2) + (y-1)^2 = 1 ..

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I fins the area of the base first , which is pi (1^2) = pi , then i integrate with the length , which is from z = 0 to z=6 . so , my ans is 6pi , is my ans correct ?

But ,the author used cylindrical coordinate (polar graph method) , from r = 0 to r = 2sin theta , because the base of cylinder is centered at (0,1 )

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2016 #2
    Your problem statement says the cylinder lies between the planes z = 0 and z = 10, but your attempt at a solution uses only the interval from z = 0 to z = 6. Which one is correct?

4. Nov 21, 2016 #3
    typo ,
    I fins the area of the base first , which is pi (1^2) = pi , then i integrate with the length , which is from z = 0 to z=10 . so , my ans is 10pi , is my ans correct ?

But ,the author used cylindrical coordinate (polar graph method) , from r = 0 to r = 2sin theta , because the base of cylinder is centered at (0,1 )

5. Nov 21, 2016 #4
    That's fine. Your method is correct, and so is the author's. :-) I tend to prefer your method because its simpler. The author's intent is probably for you to compare the classical method to integration and see that they yield equivalent volumes for the classical solids.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted