1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of cylinders using double integrals

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Find the volume bounded by the cylinder y^2 + z^2 = 4 and the planes x=2y, x=0, z=0 in the first octant.

2. Find the volume bounded by the cylinders x^2 + y^2 = r^2 and y^2 + z^2 = r^2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Both questions are from the section before polar/cylindrical coordinates and triple integrals so we have to use double integrals in cartesian coordinates only.

1. I drew a graph on the xy plane with x=2y. When z=0, y^2 = 4, y=2. So the boundary is the triangle between x=2y and y=2.
    the boundary of integration is {(x,y)|0<=x<=4. x/2<=y<=2}, is this right? I think the limits for x are right but y I'm not too sure.

If I continue, then I get V = ∫ ∫f(x,y)dydx = ∫ ∫sqrt(4-y^2)dydx with the limits above. The inner integral gets a bit tricky with trig substitutions. I made y = 2sinu. After a few steps, I got ∫sqrt(4-y^2)dy = y/2*sqrt(4-y^2) + 2arcsin(y/2). Plugging in the limits for y...I got π + x/2 -(x/4)sqrt*4-x^2/4) - arcsin(x/4)
    And if I integrate that with respect to x from 0 to 4 I get another messy integral with many terms in the solution. One of the term is 2sqrt(4-x^2). But that is undefined when x = 4! So I did something wrong. I don't think it was the actual integration that I messed up on because I used wolfram to double check.

2. The boundary I got is {(x,y)|-r <= x <= r, -sqrt(r^2 - x^2) <= y <= sqrt(r^2 - x^2)}
    The integral is pretty similar to the one above but it's very long and complex with many square roots and arcsines to integrate. Did I make the limits wrong because it seems too complex...

The questions would be a lot simpler in polar form I think.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

i think you need to be a bit careful with setting up the integral

First if you are only integrating over 2 variables, the first step is to decide what a volume element is
    dV(x,y) = f(x,y)dxdy

the f(x,y) actually comes form the first step in a triple integral & will be the extent of z for a given x & y.

For the first case, drawing a picture of the "wedge" cut form the cylinder, i think f(x,y) should depend on both x & y. So maybe have another look at your initial volume element.

I also think for that problem, it would be easier to set up the integration in terms x & z. as the volume element should only depend on x in that case (and will given by the difference in y between the planes x = 0 & x = 2y)
    [tex] \int_a^b (\int_{g(x)}^{h(x)} f(x) dz) dx [/tex]

note that by setting these up in this way you are pretty much doing a triple integral, just shortcutting the first step anyway

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook