1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of Right Circular Cylinder

1. Feb 15, 2006 #1
    I need to find the volume of this right circular cylinder as a function of the depth of the fluid. I am having trouble starting this problem.

[​IMG]

I realize the equation for the cross sectional view of the cylinder is

[tex]x^2 + y^2 = 1^2 [/tex].

Any suggestions on what to look at next?

Should I be looking to set up an integral to find the area of that circle as a function of the depth of the fluid? Then, once I do that, find an integral to get me the volume of the fluid across the length cylinder?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First you need to state the problem correctly. You are NOT trying to find the volume of the right circular cylinder. (That's [itex]5\pi[/itex] cubic meters.) You are trying to find the volume of the fluid in the cylinder.

Think about a think layer of fluid, of thickness dz, at height z above the bottom of the tank. It is, of course, a thin rectangle with width 5 m and height 2x (x is the x coordinate at y= 1-z). Yes, x2+ y2= x2+ (1-z)2= 1 so
    [tex]x= \sqrt{1- (1-z)2} . The volume is the integral of the area of that rectangle dz with z going from 0 to d.

4. Feb 16, 2006 #3
    How is the height 2x? What do you mean by the "x is the x coordinate at y=1-z" ?

5. Feb 17, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Each "layer of water" is a rectangle. One side (it doesn't matter if you think of it as "length", "width", "height") is that 5 m length of the tank. The other is measured from one side of the circular face to the other. If you take x to be horizontal, y vertical, so that the circular face has equation
    x2+ y2= 1, then that length is 2x. I am taking, as I said, z to be measured from the bottom of the circle up. At the bottom, y= -1 so that y= -1+z. (I said y= 1-z since by symmetry you could have taken positive y downward. Since your formula involves only y2 it doesn't matter whether you use z-1 or 1- z.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?