Volume of water discharged from a tank

In summary, the problem involves determining the volume of water that emerges from a rectangular opening on the side of a large open-topped water tank. The opening has a width w and a height of h2-h1, and the water emerges with varying velocities. Using Torricelli's theorem, the volume flow rate can be expressed as Q= w(h2 - h1)*sqrt(2*g*(h2 - h1)). However, since the velocity is not constant throughout the opening, the problem can be solved by assuming a differential cross sectional element and integrating under the given limits of heights.
nemixus

Homework Statement

A rectangular opening is cut into the side of a large open-topped water tank. The opening has width w and height h2-h1, where h1 and h2 are distances of the opening below the water surface as identified in the figure. Determine the volume V of water that emerges from the opening per unit time (i.e. per second). You may assume that the surface area of the tank is extremely large compared to the area of the opening, but you should not assume that the water emerges from the opening with a single, uniform velocity. (Sorry for not able to show figure. Water is filled almost to the top. Opening on the side is about 1/9 of the tank.)

Homework Equations

Let Q = volume/second, A2 = Area of the hole, V2 = velocity of the hole

The Attempt at a Solution

Q = A2*V2
Torricelli's theorem:
v2 = sqrt(2*g*(h2 - h1))
Q/A2 = sqrt(2*g*(h2 - h1))
Q= w(h2 - h1)*sqrt(2*g*(h2 - h1))

It is after this point when I realized that I cannot assume the velocity is the same throughout the hole and I'm at lost how to approach this problem. Can I still solve the problem this way or do I have to do it a different way since the velocity is not constant throughout?

Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity varies with height so you should assume a differential cross sectional element of height dh and find the volume flow rate for that element(which would be a function of height). Then integrate under limits of the heights given for volume flowing out per unit time.

1. How is the volume of water discharged from a tank calculated?

The volume of water discharged from a tank can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the tank by the height of the water level. This will give you the volume in cubic units.

2. What factors can affect the volume of water discharged from a tank?

The volume of water discharged from a tank can be affected by the size of the tank, the rate of discharge, the shape of the tank, and the height of the water level.

3. Can the type of liquid in the tank affect the volume of water discharged?

Yes, the type of liquid in the tank can affect the volume of water discharged. For example, liquids with higher viscosity will have a slower discharge rate compared to liquids with lower viscosity.

4. How can the volume of water discharged from a tank be measured?

The volume of water discharged from a tank can be measured using various methods such as using a measuring cup, a flow meter, or by calculating the change in the water level over time.

5. Is the volume of water discharged from a tank constant over time?

No, the volume of water discharged from a tank is not constant over time. It will decrease as the water level decreases and will eventually reach zero when the tank is empty.