1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumes question, volume of a torus

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    Problem solved

I'm not sure how easy this will be to understand without a diagram, but I don't know how to upload one :(

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let a and b be constants, with a > b > 0.A torus is formed by rotating the
    circle (x - a)^2 + y^2 = b^2 about the y-axis.

The cross-section at y = h, where –b ≤ h ≤ b, is an annulus. The annulus has
    inner radius x1 and outer radius x2 where x1 and x2 are the roots of
    (x - a)^2 = b^2 + y^2

(i) Find x1 and x2 in terms of h.

(ii) Find the area of the cross-section at height h, in terms of h.

(iii) Find the volume of the torus.

2. Relevant equations
    I think they're all up there.

3. The attempt at a solution

I did part (i) and got x1 = a - [itex]\sqrt{b^2 - h^2}[/itex]
    and x2 = a + [itex]\sqrt{b^2 - h^2}[/itex], which is correct according to the answers.

I did part (ii) and got A = [itex]\pi[/itex]a[itex]\sqrt{b^2 - h^2}[/itex], which again is correct.

But for part 3 I thought V = [itex]\pi[/itex]a[itex]\int^{b}_{-b}[itex]\sqrt{b^2 - h^2}dh[/itex] (sorry I don't know how to get rid of that itex in the integral)

But in the answers it is V = [itex]\pi[/itex]a[itex]\int^{a}_{-a}[itex]\sqrt{b^2 - h^2}dh[/itex], and im not sure what it's between -a and a. The answers are from a different source then the question so I'm not sure if they have made a mistake or not.

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2
    I just remembered an easy way to find the volume of a torus and my answers was right, don't need help anymore.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook