Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumetric flow rate in a PFR reactor

1. Jan 28, 2018 #1
    Hi pf,

I have a reaction ## aA → bB ## in a PFR reactor. The simplest equation to write is:

## \frac {dF_A} {dV} = -R ## where ##F## is the Molar flow rate. ##F = C_A*Q## where ##Q## is the volumetric flow rate and ##C_A## is the molar concentration of A.

My textbooks says that if ##a=b## (the total number of moles doesn't change) ##Q## is constant. I don't understand why, can someone explain me? Moreover, sometimes, in the exercise ##Q## is considered constant even if ##a≠b##...
    So my question is: "When ##Q## can be considered constant?

Thank you
    Ric

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2018 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

Do they mention that this is for a gas phase reaction ? And the ideal gas law applies ? And the temperature is constant ?

4. Jan 29, 2018 #3
    If temperature (and pressure) are constant and the total number of moles doesn't change, using ##PV=nRT##, it's clear to me that the volumetric flow is constant.
    If temperature (and pressure) are constant but the total number of moles does change I can still consider the volumetric flow as constant if the change in the total number of moles is very small (eg working with ppm).

Now let's a reaction like ##A + E → 2B + C##

In gas phase under which conditions (if possible) ##Q## can be considered constant?
    In liquid phase phase under which conditions (if possible) ##Q## can be considered constant?

Thank you
    Ric

Ps: I hope my english is good enough

5. Jan 30, 2018 #4
    Yes, if the actual change in the number of moles is small (e.g., if only a small amount of A is available to react)
    Yes again, if the actual change in the specific volume of the mixture is small.

6. Jan 30, 2018 #5
    Thank you.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted