Volumetric flow rate of bubble out of the straw

In summary, Leon666 was looking for a formula to calculate the volumetric flow rate of the gas bubble come out from the triangular teeth in a rectangular box connected to a straw. He found an equation for 'Orifice' Openings that can be used to calculate the discharge coefficient, Cd, the discharge area, A, and the pressure difference, delta P. He then used this information to calculate the volumetric flow rate of the bubble, Q.
Charles CL

Homework Statement

Imagine that you are blowing air through a straw in a cup of water and the root of the straw was connected through a rectangular box with empty base and every side of the rectangular box was cut into "teeth" shape. Bubbles will come out from the teeth of the rectangular box after the straw with certain volumetric flow rate. I couldn't find an idea of how to get the volumteric flow rate of it which related the area of the straw, the area of the triangular teeth and other parameters with the volumetric flow rate of the bubbles.

teeth shape --> vvvvvvvv
Please refer to the attached picture for your reference of how it looks like.

2. The attempt at a solution
May i know how to calculate volumetric flow rate of the bubble out of the teeth of the rectangular box that connected to the straw?

Attachments

• Straw.jpg
    Straw.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
Volumetric flow rate is the linear velocity times the area...
V*A

If you have the straws's area and the flow rate at the straw, you can calculate the linear velocity of the fluid...

That's a very simplified approach, but at the level of information given I think that it should be enough

Likes Charles CL
Leon666 said:
Volumetric flow rate is the linear velocity times the area...
V*A

If you have the straws's area and the flow rate at the straw, you can calculate the linear velocity of the fluid...

That's a very simplified approach, but at the level of information given I think that it should be enough

Dear Leon666,

Thanks for the answer.
I need to find the volumetric flow rate (m^3/s),Q of the gas bubble come out from the triangular teeth.
Total area,A for the teeth is 0.0016m^2, velocity,v = unknown (m/s).
I wonder is there any formula can be used to calculate the velocity of the bubble, so that i can put it into the equation Q=v*A to get the volumetric flow rate?

Meanwhile, i found an equation for 'Orifice' Openings,
Q = Cd*A*[(2*delta P)/air density]^n
Discharge coefficient, Cd = 0.61,
Discharge Area, A = 0.0016m^2,
Pressure difference, delta P = 200 Pa,
Air density = 1.2 kg/m^3,
flow exponent, n = 0.5 (assumed flow in turbulent)

Therefore, Q = 0.0178 m^3/s
(I wonder this equation is applicable for my case or not?)

Last edited:

What is the definition of volumetric flow rate?

Volumetric flow rate is the measure of the volume of fluid that passes through a given cross-sectional area per unit of time. It is commonly expressed in units of volume per time, such as liters per second or cubic feet per hour.

How is the volumetric flow rate of a bubble out of a straw determined?

The volumetric flow rate of a bubble out of a straw can be determined by measuring the volume of the bubble and the time it takes for the bubble to pass through a specific point. This can be done by using a stopwatch and a graduated cylinder to collect the bubble and measure its volume.

What factors can affect the volumetric flow rate of a bubble out of a straw?

The volumetric flow rate of a bubble out of a straw can be affected by several factors, including the size of the straw, the composition of the fluid, the pressure inside the straw, and the angle at which the straw is held.

How does the density of the fluid affect the volumetric flow rate of a bubble out of a straw?

The density of the fluid can affect the volumetric flow rate of a bubble out of a straw. A denser fluid will have a higher resistance to flow, resulting in a slower flow rate. This means that a bubble in a denser fluid will take longer to pass through the straw compared to a less dense fluid.

Why is the volumetric flow rate of a bubble out of a straw important?

The volumetric flow rate of a bubble out of a straw is important because it can provide information about the properties of the fluid, such as its viscosity and density. It can also be used to calculate the rate of gas exchange in a system, which can be important in various scientific and industrial applications.