Would You Buy Walgreens' Big Flats Beer for Just $1 a Can?

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beer
In summary, the new beer from Walgreens, "Big Flats" is brewed by the same company involved with Trader Joe's, and is bland and low quality. Although it is cheaper than other brands, I would not buy it.
nismaratwork said:
By the way... "autolyzed yeast"... I loved that. I wonder how many people realize that means a large portion of taco bell meat = Vegemite base. :rofl:
Sounds like a good time for a Big Flats. :devil:

Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
Sounds like a good time for a Big Flats. :devil:

That got a real life LOL.

Hell, I think that's good time for anything with alcohol... just to denature the "meat"! :biggrin:

But WHY is it named after my hometown in upstate New York, pop. 300?

Phyisab**** said:
But WHY is it named after my hometown in upstate New York, pop. 300?
As opposed to Hornell, Corning, Elmira or Horseheads? Ask the folks at Genesee Brewing Co.

Horseheads might have worked.

Big Flats sounds like a beer name.

Kind of like Fat Tire. :biggrin:

I like the slogan "It's the water that makes it." Anyone who has tried to make beer without water knows just how essential this ingredient is no matter what fish do in it. Does it say "Drink it and you'll make water too." on the other side?

dlgoff said:
When this bad weather is out of here and I'm able to get to a Walgreens, I'm going to give it a try.

FlexGunship said:
If you decide to survive drinking it, report back to us!
My drive is clear of deep snow (well almost) and was able to get out. I called a Walgreens store in Lawrence before leaving and they said it wasn't available there yet.

I don't know whether I should be happy or sad.

dlgoff said:
My drive is clear of deep snow (well almost) and was able to get out. I called a Walgreens store in Lawrence before leaving and they said it wasn't available there yet.

I don't know whether I should be happy or sad.
You dodged a bullet, buddy. If you have ever resorted to buying Genesee beers (including their horrendous cream ale) out of desperation, you know what I mean. If you must buy some, go in on a 6-pack with someone else who is curious, or just try one and shove the rest in the back of a fridge and serve it to somebody who "dropped in" and you wish they hadn't.

turbo-1 said:
You dodged a bullet, buddy. If you have ever resorted to buying Genesee beers (including their horrendous cream ale) out of desperation, you know what I mean.
I know I know. But for a buck, I could spit it out quickly if there's a problem.
If you must buy some, go in on a 6-pack with someone else who is curious, or just try one and shove the rest in the back of a fridge and serve it to somebody who "dropped in" and you wish they hadn't.
I know just the person.

Meh, it's $3 a six-pack. Buy two, a bag of Doritos, and Pace Picante Sauce (Hot). Put enough picante sauce on your tongue and you won't even notice the taste.

(If you do this, please don't lock your dog in the room with you when you pass out. That's just cruel.)

I heard once from a beer vendor that if you want to make "bad" beer taste somewhat OK, get it really really really cold.

While not a favorite of mine, Big Flats is a good lite lager, by style guidelines.

Insanity said:
While not a favorite of mine, Big Flats is a good lite lager, by style guidelines.
Really? Where the heck did you get it? From Walgreens?

Yes, $2.99 six-pack.
Again, not going to be a fav or anywhere near it, but it fits the style guidelines.
Somewhat better then Bud maybe, course wasn't feeling the greatest today.

Insanity said:
Yes, $2.99 six-pack.
Again, not going to be a fav or anywhere near it, but it fits the style guidelines.
"Better than Bud" is not exactly an endorsement.

Gokul43201 said:
I was mentioning Big Flats to a bartender friend, and was pointed immediately to Trader Joe's. Apparently, one of their beers is also sold for $2.99 a six-pack and tastes way nicer (as opposed to "somewhat better") than Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.

I subsequently found this useful beer guide to Trader Joe's selection: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...a-style-lager-firestone-walker-beer-community
I read that Walgreen's, Costco, and Trader Joe's all got this beer from the same distributor, they just lable it differently. Not sure what Trader Joe's calls it.

Here's the article.

The popular drug store chain has begun to sell its private label brew called Big Flats 1901.

The beer, which the company said is a premium lager, is made by Winery Exchange.

The company also provides private-labeled alcohol for Costco and Trader Joe’s.

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/walgreens-cracks-open-a-cold-one-in-profits-with-its-new-brew

I found a bar in Philadelphia that sold PBR cans for 69c. It was awesome! And consequentially full of bums lol.

Evo said:
I read that Walgreen's, Costco, and Trader Joe's all got this beer from the same distributor, they just lable it differently. Not sure what Trader Joe's calls it.
I'm not sure either. But the $3 beer at TJ's has apparently been around for quite a while.

pallidin said:
I heard once from a beer vendor that if you want to make "bad" beer taste somewhat OK, get it really really really cold.

Heh, true for anything. Cold = Diminished sense of taste. Of course, that can be used to mellow harsh citirus in sorbets, along with sugar, but in this case it's a 'Big Flats Cheat'. Smart vendor though... not terribly honest I guess. :tongue2:

Insanity said:
Yes, $2.99 six-pack.
Thanks for the report. You know I got to try it. Hopefully they'll start carrying it here.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I found a bar in Philadelphia that sold PBR cans for 69c. It was awesome! And consequentially full of bums lol.
Sounds like my kind of place. :wink:

I've been saving this up, which means it's either sweet or stinky... you choose. Remember, back in ye olde 2002... a show, Futurama had a robot with a penchant for booze...

IMDB said:
Bender: Ah, beer. So many choices, and it makes so little difference.
Fry: How 'bout Löwbrau? It has dots.
Bender: Overruled! The choice of champions is Pabst Blue Robot.
Fry: I can't drink that. The metal shavings make my throat bloody.

Bender: Wah, wah! Baby wants a Zima!
Leela: Hey, hey! We can all fight when we're drunk.

bolding mine. :tongue:

dlgoff said:
Thanks for the report. You know I got to try it. Hopefully they'll start carrying it here.
Don, don't forget that it's illegal to sell alcohol in pharmacies or grocery stores in Kansas. You can get it at stores in MO, but not Kansas City, MO, for some reason.

Evo said:
Don, don't forget that it's illegal to sell alcohol in pharmacies or grocery stores in Kansas. You can get it at stores in MO, but not Kansas City, MO, for some reason.
Doesn't Ks still have some dry counties?

I remember rolling into Burlington, KS, one evening with a colleague. We wanted to get a bite to eat and some beer. However, we found the town pretty much closed. When we checked in at the hotel (B&B), we were told we couldn't buy beer. I think it was a Sunday, just after 6 pm.

I think we ended up drinking tea instead, which is not bad, but it's not beer. If we'd known, we could have prepared. We had flown into KCI and had driven down from KC.

Evo said:

Well dang. I doubt it would be worth a trip to KC. Maybe that's a good thing now that Atronuc has gotten me hooked on my craft beer.

Astronuc said:
Doesn't Ks still have some dry counties?

I remember rolling into Burlington, KS, one evening with a colleague. We wanted to get a bite to eat and some beer. However, we found the town pretty much closed. When we checked in at the hotel (B&B), we were told we couldn't buy beer. I think it was a Sunday, just after 6 pm.
The only place you can buy beer on Sundays here are in restaurants and evidently in microbreweries until 7:00pm (mine has a restaurant so that probably matters).

If you really want to hear something funny, Kansas once had an Attorney General who insisted it was illegal to sell alcohol in airplanes while flying over Kansas. He was also notorious for hiding in car trunks to spring small time marijuana bust back in the '70s.

If I ever have a signiture, it will include this line: "I think we ended up drinking tea instead, which is not bad, but it's not beer." (Astronuc)

Ever been to Utah?... I find the drinking "membership clubs" even stranger than blue laws. Kind of the old Roman view; if the gods can't see you, then you get away with it... all over a little sweet booze.

nismaratwork said:
Ever been to Utah?... I find the drinking "membership clubs" even stranger than blue laws. Kind of the old Roman view; if the gods can't see you, then you get away with it... all over a little sweet booze.
I remember having to buy memberships when I was in Park City. The last time I was there, I had a beer at a Mexican restaurant and don't remember being required to buy a membership, aren't they good for 24 hours? Perhaps they added the membership to the bill.

Here are the current rules.

http://www.parkcitycondolodging.com/park-city-utah/finding-and-drinking-alcohol-in-park-city/

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I remember having to buy memberships when I was in Park City. The last time I was there, I had a beer at a Mexican restaurant and don't remember being required to buy a membership, aren't they good for 24 hours? Perhaps they added the membership to the bill.

Here are the current rules.

http://www.parkcitycondolodging.com/park-city-utah/finding-and-drinking-alcohol-in-park-city/
Well, there are places in Kansas that require a membership. We even have one in our little town. Thing is, only one person in a group has to have the membership card. All others are considered guests and can go in free. So needless to say, everyone's a guest at most. At least everyone knows everybody here.

pfsh...4 cans and I may as well being drinking water.

Insanity said:
pfsh...4 cans and I may as well being drinking water.

You probably were! :wink:

nismaratwork said:
You probably were! :wink:

yep, 95% at least.