Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Wandering Dot Experiment

1. May 15, 2010 #1
    I have tried looking this up on the net without success.

This is a (I think) classic psychology experiment in which subjects are asked to describe the movement of a small black stationary dot painted on a white wall. Some perceive the dot as stationary and others perceive that the dot moves around. I don't recall what suggestions are give to the subjects, if any.

Can anyone provide a cite for this experiment? I think it's from the '50s.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2010 #2
    As best I recall, subjects were seated across the room from the wall. They were told that the dot might or might not move. After a few minutes they were asked about the movement of the dot. I don't think I can remember any more details. Judging from the absence of answers it was not as well-known as I thought. Still would appreciate a cite. Thanks.
  4. May 30, 2010 #3
    Hey daniel6874! This was done by Sherif in 1936. I remember this from intro to psych. The dot does not move at all, but the test subjects perceived it as moving. They were asked how much it moves one a scale of something to something.

Hope I'm not too late if you were writing a paper ...
  5. May 30, 2010 #4
    Ah! There is no paper due but I read the study quite a few years back and never heard about it again. When I didn't find it online I began to wonder whether I remembered the details properly. Thank you for the reference!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook