Medical Wandering Dot Experiment

• Thread starter daniel6874
  • Start date
I have tried looking this up on the net without success.

This is a (I think) classic psychology experiment in which subjects are asked to describe the movement of a small black stationary dot painted on a white wall. Some perceive the dot as stationary and others perceive that the dot moves around. I don't recall what suggestions are give to the subjects, if any.

Can anyone provide a cite for this experiment? I think it's from the '50s.

Thanks.

I have tried looking this up on the net without success.

This is a (I think) classic psychology experiment in which subjects are asked to describe the movement of a small black stationary dot painted on a white wall. Some perceive the dot as stationary and others perceive that the dot moves around. I don't recall what suggestions are give to the subjects, if any.

Can anyone provide a cite for this experiment? I think it's from the '50s.

Thanks.
As best I recall, subjects were seated across the room from the wall. They were told that the dot might or might not move. After a few minutes they were asked about the movement of the dot. I don't think I can remember any more details. Judging from the absence of answers it was not as well-known as I thought. Still would appreciate a cite. Thanks.

Hey daniel6874! This was done by Sherif in 1936. I remember this from intro to psych. The dot does not move at all, but the test subjects perceived it as moving. They were asked how much it moves one a scale of something to something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzafer_Sherif

Hope I'm not too late if you were writing a paper ...

Hey daniel6874! This was done by Sherif in 1936. I remember this from intro to psych. The dot does not move at all, but the test subjects perceived it as moving. They were asked how much it moves one a scale of something to something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzafer_Sherif

Hope I'm not too late if you were writing a paper ...
Ah! There is no paper due but I read the study quite a few years back and never heard about it again. When I didn't find it online I began to wonder whether I remembered the details properly. Thank you for the reference!