Get Free Energy: Check Out Steorn Ireland

In summary, Steorn is a legal business entity that has existed since 2000, and is known for developing technologies to combat counterfeiting and fraud.
neutrino
Then check out this Irish company...
http://www.steorn.net/frontpage/default.aspx

DUBLIN (AFP) - An Irish company has thrown down the gauntlet to the worldwide scientific community to test a technology it has developed that it claims produces free energy.

The company, Steorn, says its discovery is based on the interaction of magnetic fields and allows the production of clean, free and constant energy -- a concept that challenges one of the basic rules of physics.

Sean McCarthy, Steorn's chief executive officer, said they had issued the challenge for 12 physicists to rigorously test the technology so it can be developed.

"What we have developed is a way to construct magnetic fields so that when you travel round the magnetic fields, starting and stopping at the same position, you have gained energy," McCarthy said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060818/bs_afp/irelandscienceenergy

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone else get sad by this sort of thing? It's such a nice fantasy to latch onto, but these claims keep coming and going, like really nice cakes on a conveyor belt that are meant only for display.

I don't get it, they don't have a working system, so they're asking other physicists to try to make a working system for them? Because if they already had something that worked, they could just demonstrate it working. Right?

Where's the fun in that?

Sounds like a scam that is going to die a quick death to me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steorn
According to the Irish Examiner, Steorn was founded in 2000.[3] In May 2006, ThePost.ie reported that Steorn was a former dot com business, which was at that time researching "kinetic battery" technology as well as creating ecommerce websites for customers. They had also recently raised about €2.5 million from "high net worth individuals".[4]

According to information available from the Irish Companies Registration Office, Steorn has not filed accounts since October 28, 2004. Under current Companies Registration Office practice[7] strike-off procedures could begin against Steorn by the end of October 2006. A strike-off would have serious consequences, such as the loss of Steorn's limited liability status. Furthermore, any assets of the company, including any patents or other intellectual property, would become the property of the Irish State.[7]
It looks to me like this scam is a last-ditch effort to raise some dough for (through) a failed company.

That AFP article is a new low for journalism - an unquestioning transcription of the crackpot's claims. A fair and balanced article would begin:

"Fraudulent, tax-evading crackpots propose new scam; no evidence provided."

For some reason this sounds like a scam or a hoax like the world jump day thing.

No, I wouldn't want any

I, for one, would like to know the credentials of the nearly 2000 "scientists" who have expressed an interest in this nonsense.

I especially like how they haven't published any details, but who knows maybe a small company has somehow broken essentially the most important and fundamental law of physics. Good on em if they have... but its like a googolplex to one chance.

I just tried reading a bit of their forums. That place is chaos. There are some real winners over there. Mostly it seems that it is people there to make fun of this company.

Sounds like someone needs to re-think their energy balance... :rolleyes:

Much like watching a car wreck, I am magically drawn to their forum...

I had to laugh. One of their threads, the only personI have seen that had any credentials in a scientific arena (physics grad student) was asking one of the most ardent supporters of this company why he thinks it will work. It degrades into a name calling fest by the person being questioned. However, he does let everyone know that he has an associates in criminal justice and that he thinks it has something to do with how they orient the magnets. Oy vey.

BTW...here is a supposed picture of our free energy prototype:
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9176/analysisry10ig9.png
as referenced on this thread:
http://www.steorn.net/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=3091&page=1#Item_0

Found a website:
http://www.steornwatch.com/
So far it looks like a real company
Steorn is a real company

After reviewing US and European Patent and Trademark applications, as well as Irish Commercial Registry documents (including annual reports and share allocations), Steorn Watch concludes that Steorn is indeed a legal business entity that has existed since 2000. While this may seem like a no-brainer, with all the theories flying about, determining if Steorn is an actual business was step 1.
"[URL
It also looks like they real think they done it.[/URL]
There not even orginally a energy company:
History

For many years Steorn has developed technology to help combat counterfeiting and fraud in the plastic card and optical disc industries.

Steorn is a word translating as 'to guide, direct and manage'.

The company has been instrumental in the development of core technologies that address counterfeit crime in areas such as plastic card fraud and optical disc fraud. The company has also provided forensic and expert witness services to British, Irish and international law enforcement agencies.
What does a company with only 20 people that is only a security company have to do with "free energy":confused:

FredGarvin said:
Much like watching a car wreck, I am magically drawn to their forum...

I had to laugh. One of their threads, the only personI have seen that had any credentials in a scientific arena (physics grad student) was asking one of the most ardent supporters of this company why he thinks it will work. It degrades into a name calling fest by the person being questioned. However, he does let everyone know that he has an associates in criminal justice and that he thinks it has something to do with how they orient the magnets. Oy vey.

Link please :biggrin:

As i have a high school degree in being a high schooler, i think i can say with 100% certainty that it has something to do with that brown stuff surrounding the module.

Oh wait that's the table.

The contraption looks really redudant actually, what's the point of that fancy braced bottom frame, and the random peices of frame sticking out on the side. Why is the base the shape it is? when it could be smaller and support it directly from under rather then having to go up and in towards the middle to support it? It looks stupid, and purposely confusing.

Too bad you can't actually get tehse guys let people independantly verify these results... i wonder why

scott1 said:
Found a website:
http://www.steornwatch.com/
So far it looks like a real company
"[URL

It also looks like they real think they done it.[/URL]
There not even orginally a energy company:

What does a company with only 20 people that is only a security company have to do with "free energy":confused:
Of course it is a real company, but I don't see why that implies that they think they've done it. Heck, the only two possibilities are that they are extremely dumb or that they are crooks. And I doubt that they are that dumb.

free energy - watch video

interesting - any chance this is true?
http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-steorn_interview,00.html

No, read this thread.

Have they released any info on how they propose this works? Like a diagram as opposed 2 a pic of some crappy machine. I don't for a minute think this thing does work, id just like to see the "design" (im assumin there isn't 1 tho).

Um...

"when you travel round the magnetic fields, starting and stopping at the same position, you have gained energy,"

So what energy do they use to "travel round the magnetic fields"... electricity from solar panels? Or do they just turn a crank for hours - after heaving a healthy lunch? ;)

An anagram for 'steorn' is 'no rest' - hence 'free energy'.

I think someone is having a good laugh. I have been e-mailed twice by these folks & they give away nothing, & only want information.

I wonder if it is not an elaborate hoax to test & measure the gullibility of the Scientific community...

No, it really is about money. They have generated serious money with this device, if nothing else. Perhaps they could patent it as a device that generates money, but not energy...

I guess that's money genrated on the hype they've created around a 'device' that has apparently not yet been seen in detail, or proven. Marketing hype & the 'pump-up' principle is, I would guess, close to fraud, as it's essentially based on & fueled by part-truths & rumour.

jnorman said:
interesting - any chance this is true?
http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-steorn_interview,00.html

I highly recommend the video. The Gent starts off speaking very elequently and with great fluidity about the company, how it was founded, when it started, etc. But, in preperarion for the tech bits, he licks his lips and brings up his hands. As soon as he starts into the technical explanation of how the device works, he begins talking with his hands and looks down into them, only glancing up occassionaly and no longer maintaining eye contact with the interviewer. It is at this exact moment that he developes a rather noticable stutter. Once finished with talking about the device itself he returns immediately to his former method of speach.

There is no doubt in my mind that this man is keenly aware that the device doesn't work. He's not mistaken; he's lying.

Here's a "video' (actually a collection of stills) of a toy Steorn is planning to manufacture to prove their free energy claim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94p1zgF6_JY&mode=related&search="

From Steorn's Sean McCarthy:

A quick comment on the video of the small 'toy' that we showed last night. The device has a certain 'input' energy that is delivered by unlatching and allowing a weight to rotate (fall) through 90 degrees. An interaction happens between two sets of magnets (they go around a loop), this interaction causes another weight (twice the mass of the input weight) to be lifted through 90 degrees. It is that simple, the device stops and starts the cycle with the same magnetic potential energy and yet does work (circa 1:2).

The validating jury of 12 scientists and/or engineers (their identity is secret) is supposedly testing the phenomenon right now. A public demonstration of the effect is slated for July.

I find this whole thing fascinating, as I once worked for a marketing company that hooked up with an inventor who had a "revolutionary" product. Unfortunately they put the cart before the horse and wound up looking like fools when the product failed to live up to the hype.

chili fries said:
I once worked for a marketing company that hooked up with an inventor who had a "revolutionary" product. Unfortunately they put the cart before the horse and wound up looking like fools when the product failed to live up to the hype.

Funny you should say that...

Garth

Funny? Prescient...

Looking at the news on their site, since we last visited, they have issued a challenge to the world scientific community to disprove their nonexistent claims. Unsurprisingly, no one has taken the bait. If their device works, it is a simple matter to prove their claim: just demonstrate it! They say it will start with small generators, suitable for things like CD players. Fine - by the USPTO's guidelings, all they need to do is deliver a working model to the USPTO office and set it up in the lobby. If it is still generating muzak after a year, it'll get a patent. What could be simpler?

Last edited:
This thread is no longer appropriate for this forum. We no longer discuss claims of free energy; even for the sake of debunking. Please see the S&D posting guidelines.

1. What is Steorn Ireland?

Steorn Ireland is a technology company based in Dublin, Ireland that claims to have developed a revolutionary method for generating free energy.

2. How does Steorn's technology work?

According to Steorn, their technology involves harnessing the energy of magnetic fields to generate free energy. They claim that their technology is based on the principles of magnetic interaction and that it can produce more energy than it consumes.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support Steorn's claims?

Steorn has not yet provided any scientific evidence to support their claims. They have conducted several demonstrations and tests of their technology, but these have been met with skepticism and have not been replicated by independent researchers.

4. Has Steorn's technology been successfully implemented anywhere?

No, Steorn's technology has not been successfully implemented anywhere. They have faced numerous setbacks and have not been able to bring their technology to market.

5. Is it possible for Steorn's technology to truly generate free energy?

As of now, there is no scientific evidence to support Steorn's claims of generating free energy. Many experts in the field of physics and energy have expressed doubts about the feasibility of their technology. Until there is concrete evidence to prove otherwise, it is unlikely that Steorn's technology can truly generate free energy.