Want to clarify polar, spherical coordinates.

In summary, polar coordinates are a two-dimensional system used to represent points on a plane using a distance from the origin and an angle from a reference direction. They differ from Cartesian coordinates in the way they measure distance and angles. Spherical coordinates, on the other hand, are a three-dimensional version of polar coordinates, using an additional angle from a reference plane. Both systems are commonly used in mapping, navigation, astronomy, and engineering, as well as to describe the motion of objects in space and represent points on polar or spherical-shaped objects.
yungman
I am always a little confuse in polar, cylindrical and spherical coordinates in vector calculus vs cylinderical and spherical coordinates in vector fields used in Electromagnetics. I want to clarify what my finding and feel free to correct me and add to it.

A) Vector calculus:

We use [itex] x = r cos(\phi)sin(\theta),\; y = r sin(\phi)sin(\theta),\; z = rcos(\theta) [/tex]

[tex]\vec{r} = r cos(\phi)sin(\theta) \hat{x} + r sin(\phi)sin(\theta) \hat{y} + rcos(\theta)\hat{z}[/tex]

[tex]\hbox { Surface intergal }\; \int_{\Gamma} f(a,\phi, \theta) dA \hbox { where }\; dA = a^2sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi [/tex]

All these are just simply rectangular coordinate presented in polar and spherical coordinate value.

B) Vector field in Spherical and cylindrical coordinates:

This is "true" Spherical or cylindrical coordinates in [itex] (r,\phi,\theta)[/itex] represents a vector ( vector field ) at a single point P. P can be [itex] P(x,y,z) \hbox { or }\; P(r,\phi,\theta)[/itex] respect to the origin.

So in conclusion, I think it is very very different between the two, where in the first case A), it is very much like the [itex]\; r,\phi,\theta \;[/itex] representation of (x,y,z). The second case B) really about vector fields where you set up a coordinate system at a point P and use the coordinate system to represent the direction and magnitude of the vector field at that point. Therefore the two are not the same.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

You are correct in your understanding of the difference between polar, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates in vector calculus and vector fields used in electromagnetics. In vector calculus, we use these coordinates to represent a point in space and to perform calculations such as surface integrals. On the other hand, in vector fields, these coordinates are used to represent the direction and magnitude of a vector at a specific point in space.

One key difference between the two is that in vector calculus, the coordinates are fixed and do not change, while in vector fields, the coordinates can vary depending on the point in space where the vector is being represented.

It is important to understand the distinction between these two uses of coordinates in order to properly apply them in different situations. I hope this helps clarify any confusion you may have had. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system used to represent points in a two-dimensional plane. They use a distance from the origin and an angle from a fixed reference direction to specify a point's location.

2. How are polar coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates use a different system of measurement than Cartesian coordinates, which use x and y coordinates to specify a point's location. In polar coordinates, the distance from the origin is represented by r, and the angle from the reference direction is represented by theta.

3. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a three-dimensional version of polar coordinates. They use a distance from the origin, an angle from a fixed reference direction, and an angle from a fixed reference plane to specify a point's location.

4. How are polar and spherical coordinates related?

Spherical coordinates can be thought of as an extension of polar coordinates in three dimensions. In both systems, the distance from the origin and the angle from a reference direction are used to specify a point's location. However, spherical coordinates also include an angle from a reference plane to specify the point's location in three-dimensional space.

5. What are some real-world applications of polar and spherical coordinates?

Polar and spherical coordinates are commonly used in mapping, navigation, and astronomy. They are also used in engineering and physics to describe the motion of objects in space. Additionally, they can be used to represent points in polar or spherical-shaped objects, such as planets or spheres.