Want to know more about Conductors

• Thread starter iScience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conductors
In summary, an electron on a conductor is in a potential well, and you can eject them with thermionic emission.
iScience
Hi, I was hoping to get some pointers from you guys for references/ where to look to get help for the following:

I want to know about the force that an electron experiences while on a conductor. When on the conductor, it's essentially in potential well. But i want to learn about all the relevant parameters to eject an electron from a given conductor.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
iScience said:
Hi, I was hoping to get some pointers from you guys for references/ where to look to get help for the following:

I want to know about the force that an electron experiences while on a conductor. When on the conductor, it's essentially in potential well. But i want to learn about all the relevant parameters to eject an electron from a given conductor.

Thanks in advance

A conductor is just that say a bit of metal with lots of electrons, many of these electrons are able to move between adjoining atoms

a potential well ?? not sure where you got that from ?

What do you mean by eject an electron from a given conductor. ?

you can make electrons physically leave a conductor, eg a wire filament
this is called thermionic emission do a google search on that :smile:

Dave

davenn said:
a potential well ?? not sure where you got that from ?

Dave

yes the conduction band electrons in conductors, although "free," are still bound by the walls of the conductor; being bound in a region satisfies being a potential well.

davenn said:
you can make electrons physically leave a conductor, eg a wire filament
this is called thermionic emission do a google search on that :smile:

Dave

yup! electrons physically leaving a conductor is what i was referring to.
I'm looking to learn what physical quantities affect the potential wells that bound the electrons.

(Thank for the therm. emission suggestion)

1. What is a conductor?

A conductor is a material that allows electricity to flow through it easily. It contains free electrons that can move around and carry electrical charges.

2. What are some examples of conductors?

Some common examples of conductors include metals such as copper, aluminum, and gold. Other examples include water, graphite, and human body tissue.

3. How do conductors differ from insulators?

Unlike conductors, insulators do not allow electricity to flow through them easily. They have tightly bound electrons that do not move around as freely, making them poor conductors of electricity.

4. Why are conductors important in electrical circuits?

Conductors are essential in electrical circuits because they allow electricity to flow from one component to another. Without conductors, the circuit would not be able to function and deliver power to devices.

5. Can conductors be used for other purposes besides electricity?

Yes, conductors have many other uses besides carrying electricity. They are commonly used in heating and cooling systems, as well as in musical instruments such as guitars and pianos. Conductors are also used in jewelry making and other metallurgy processes.