1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

WANTED: Formula for frictional resistance

1. Jun 29, 2003 #1
    I do remember you folks to like to see where I left things. Well, let's change the arrangement. Give me formula and I will do the rest.

A hydraulics lift (type commonly used for greasing automobile) consist of a 10.111-in-diameter ram that slides in a 10.006-in-diameter cylinder. The annual space being filled with oil having a kinematic viscocity of 0.0038 ft^2/sec and specific gravity of 0.83. If the rate of travel of the ram v is 0.5fps, find the frictional resistance, F when 6ft of the ram is engaged in the cylinder......

I think this is simply evaluating expression problem once the expression is known to me. Am I underestimating the question?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2003 #2
    Is this what you are looking for?

Rf = 0.97 x Cf x Sw x V^2 where:

Rf = Resistance in pounds
    Cf = Coefficient of friction
    Sw = Wetted surface
    V = Velocity in ft/sec
    0.97 = Constant for fresh water

Source: http://www.greenval.com/shape_part1.html

4. Jun 30, 2003 #3
    I am not sure whether I have the formula I was looking for because the fluid in my problem is oil not the water. I will check out the web site you were referring to. Thanks for your time and kindness.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?