Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Warren Buffet Gives Away His Billions

1. Jun 25, 2006 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Buffett to begin giving fortune away to charities

Five foundations, including Gates’, will get bulk of his $42 billion (AP)
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13541144/

I really admire Warren. :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2006 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's incredible when you can give away 40 billion dollars, and still be a billionaire.

If only he would give me a million or two :biggrin:

4. Jun 26, 2006 #3
    I see people who parade that they love a particular singer, a movie star, a besketball player, and i can t see why that is the case. These people are being pay millions of dollars to do their job. They are performers, and that is it. i think people like gate, or buffett are something to be admired, not so much because of how much they gave to charity, but because of their character from their acts of kindness. Their spirit of giving to help the less fortunate is in my opinion that mark of true nobility, and worthy to be emulated.

5. Jun 26, 2006 #4

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

What an interesting guy. I remember reading a while back about the debate he had with his wife about giving. Apparently, she thought he should give away as money as could continuously, and he thought it best to wait until death so he could make as money as he possibly could and then give it away. I think inflation finally convinced him that giving it away now would maximize the value of the money. Someone I know that idolizes him was telling me he lives a basically middle-class existence, too, as if he spent his entire life accumulating the world's second-largest fortune for the sole purpose of being able to give it away.

This will make a hell of a movie someday.

6. Jun 27, 2006 #5

Astronuc

I think somewhere during his career, Buffet noticed which consumer products his wife was buying, and he started investing in those companies, and then started buying those companies.

His modest lifestyle and his philanthropy are definitely to be admired. :approve:

7. Jun 27, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Why does he deserve to be idolized??
    What is it about Americans that make them so prone to regard rich people as superhumans?
    So, he's shown himself as a decent fellow, why regard him as some godlike figure?

8. Jun 27, 2006 #7

Astronuc

I would not say idolized, but admired, because he lived frugally rather than excessively or ostentatiously.

Neither Buffet, nor Gates, should be considered superhuman or godlike, of course. On the other hand, there are many who aspire to have such great wealth.

9. Jun 27, 2006 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Godlike? Idolized? Superhuman? You're kind of hyperbolizing and putting words in others' mouths at the same time, ain'tcha?

But if took more than half the money you currently have and gave it all to charity, you'd be admired too.

BTW, from an purely objective point-of-view (and something that, alone, makes it newsworthy), it is the largest charitable donation in history.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  10. Jun 27, 2006 #9
    Think of the tax he is saving :) hehe

Nice chap, good show, well done... Wonder if the money will actually do any good.

11. Jun 27, 2006 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Eeh?:confused:

12. Jun 27, 2006 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Since I don't know anything about him as a person when it comes to such morally relevant issues as how he treats his family or employees, I really can't see why it is necessary to acknowledge anything else than that he is probably a decent fellow, which I've already done.

13. Jun 27, 2006 #12
    That's Peter Lynch.

Edit: Peter Lynch was the one who enccouraged people to buy stocks of companies that made products they liked. Buffet was the one who bought companies with the intention of running them.

14. Jun 27, 2006 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(just heard this on the radio) An approximate quote from Buffet : I want to leave my kids with enough money to do anything in life, but not enough for them to do nothing.

15. Jun 27, 2006 #14

russ_watters

By the same token, I think you are attributing a general approval of him when that is not implied by what people are saying. People (including me) admire what he is doing with his money. That's it. No one knows how he treats his family, so no one commented directly on that and ther comments shouldn't be seen as approving of it.

16. Jun 27, 2006 #15

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Very few heroes are held up as examples of how to behave because of the way they treat their families. Buffett is trying to make an example of himself to become a model of how the super rich should behave with respect to the societies they got rich off of. That's fine; for that, he is a great example.

17. Jun 28, 2006 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, in one post, a poster mentioned a friend that idolized him, and as for the word "admire", I have always thought that were used more to express strong approval of individual's person, whereas words like "respect", "being impressed by" are more usual to characterize how one feels about a person's talent,achievements, and so on.
    I'm obviously wrong then.

18. Jun 28, 2006 #17
    Ha, if only one could say the same about me. I don't think anyone would be idolized for giving away 50 dollars.

19. Jun 28, 2006 #18

russ_watters

You're only worth $100? Ouch.

20. Jun 28, 2006 #19
    meh, my rent's paid. I'm happy :)

21. Jun 28, 2006 #20

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I said it. The girl that idolizes him is an aspiring entrepeneur. He's not a bad guy to idolize and model oneself after if you also wish to be a super rich business leader, which is what she wants to be. She never said she wanted to model her parenting style after him.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?