Was Alcohol Involved in White House Drone Crash?

• News
  • Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    drone
In summary: The U.S. Secret Service is investigating how a small drone crashed onto the White House grounds early Monday, triggering a major emergency response.The unmanned aircraft, which was recovered by the Secret Service, is believed to be a DJI Phantom drone, which are popular among hobbyists and some businesses.The drone operator has come forward and told Secret Service interviewers that he was drinking at the time of the incident.The crash has sparked a debate about security at the White House, as well as drone regulations.The Federal Aviation Administration is expected to issue new regulations governing the use of drones later this year.Drone operators will need a waiver to fly them in airspace near airports, and they
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Like the Secret Service needs another headache. :oldeyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/spokesman-secret-recovers-device-white-house-095128139.html

A small drone flying low to the ground crashed onto the White House grounds before dawn Monday, triggering a major emergency response and raising fresh questions about security at the presidential mansion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Soon there will be a waiting period to buy drones and they will have serial numbers :(

phinds said:
Soon there will be a waiting period to buy drones and they will have serial numbers :(
I doubt it. It's too easy to make your own. There are a bunch of do-it-yourself instructions and I know one group that even makes a lot of their parts using 3D printers. I suspect there will be a new government contract for a drone air defense system. :oldtongue:

phinds said:
With surveillance ones it would be problematic, but in case of armed ones you can claim that even minor limitations is a sign of tyranny and violation of second amendment. ;)

Czcibor said:
With surveillance ones it would be problematic, but in case of armed ones you can claim that even minor limitations is a sign of tyranny and violation of second amendment. ;)
Something like this?

And, since it's Russian, you can claim that it got lost as it crossed the White House grounds. :w

Likes Czcibor and mheslep
Government worker who crashed drone on White House grounds was drinking - well he was off duty.
http://news.yahoo.com/drinking-gove...on-white-house-grounds--report-200333999.html
The unidentified man, who works for the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA), was imbibing while operating the drone that crashed on the White House's South Lawn shortly after 3 a.m. Monday, according to a report.

He lost control of his friend’s two-foot-long craft, called a "quadcopter," at an apartment near 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., officials told The New York Times.
Ooops.

I would assume the White House is equipped with surface to air missiles. Designing an anti-drone laser defense system would be pretty straightforward (a low power version of what the Navy is testing).

russ_watters said:
I would assume the White House is equipped with surface to air missiles. Designing an anti-drone laser defense system would be pretty straightforward (a low power version of what the Navy is testing).
You wouldn't even need that much explosive power. Something that deployed a good number of M80-sized explosives near the target would probably be enough to knock it out of the air even without a direct hit.

Or, they could deploy the Hawk anti-drone system. :oldtongue:

With gnat-sized drones swarming though tree branches and gaps in fences, defense would be impossible without endangering the public. Perhaps the solution is to relocate the White House underground?

I believe there will be changes to come with respect to "quadcopter controls". Though I think it may take an inevitable "attack" of sorts. With fpv flight, on screen gps data, uhf radio controls (even repeaters) and the relatively cheapness & availability & mass production quantities of the equipment I am surprised they have yet to be used to cause "terror" in the US...with near perfect annominity and low cost. How easy it would be to drop flamming bags of poop on peoples porches from a long distance.

Dotini said:
With gnat-sized drones swarming though tree branches and gaps in fences, defense would be impossible without endangering the public.
Untrue. Anti-insect laser defense systems exist as well. If they ever become commercially viable, I'm buying one for my deck. Safety is a pretty simple targeting software issue, already utilized in such systems.

Borg said:
Or, they could deploy the Hawk anti-drone system. :oldtongue:
Its been done before, so...

russ_watters said:
Its been done before, so...
Actually, the more that I thought about it, the more that I liked it. The only thing is prep time to get the bird in the air. They would need a drone early warning system. :oldsmile:

Borg said:
drone early warning system

A mini DEW line, so to speak.

Borg said:
Actually, the more that I thought about it, the more that I liked it. The only thing is prep time to get the bird in the air. They would need a drone early warning system. :oldsmile:
They could probably just deploy a squadron, flying CAP continuously, in shifts.

We have a new meaning for "DUI": droning under the influence. :oldeyes:

Spy drone operator was drinking (CNN.com)

Sources told CNN the man told Secret Service interviewers that he was drinking with friends when he flew the drone.

1. Why did the drone crash at the White House?

The drone crashed at the White House due to a technical malfunction or operator error. It is currently under investigation by authorities.

2. Was anyone injured in the drone crash at the White House?

No, there were no injuries reported in the drone crash at the White House. The drone landed on the White House lawn and did not cause any damage to the building or surrounding area.

3. What type of drone was involved in the White House crash?

The specific type of drone involved in the White House crash has not been disclosed. However, it is believed to be a consumer-level drone, rather than a military or government drone.

4. Are there regulations in place to prevent drone crashes at the White House?

Yes, there are regulations in place for flying drones near sensitive areas such as the White House. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has strict rules for flying drones in the vicinity of airports, government buildings, and other restricted areas.

5. What are the potential consequences for the person responsible for the drone crash at the White House?

The consequences for the person responsible for the drone crash at the White House could vary, depending on the circumstances. They may face criminal charges for violating FAA regulations or trespassing on government property. They may also be subject to fines and penalties.