Is Nebraska Just a Myth? Exploring the Controversy

In summary, Nebraska may or may not exist, but all these people claiming to from Nebraska could just be actors. The pictures supposedly from Nebraska? Photoshopped, I'm guessing. I even flew across the country once and I didn't see Nebraska anywhere when I looked out the window. Huck Finn, did you reckon the States was the same color outdoors that they are on the map?”
Jamin2112
I'm not convinced that the state of Nebraska actually exists. All these people claiming to from Nebraska could just be actors. The pictures supposedly from Nebraska? Photoshopped, I'm guessing. I even flew across the country once and I didn't see Nebraska anywhere when I looked out the window.

Physics news on Phys.org
And there's almost a 100 year gap between the founding of the country and the first mention of Nebraska as being a state

Office_Shredder said:
And there's almost a 100 year gap between the founding of the country and the first mention of Nebraska as being a state

Oh, my god ... you're right. This is the "man on the grassy knoll" for the Nebraska cover-up.

Jamin2112 said:
I'm not convinced that the state of Nebraska actually exists.

My wife and I drove across Nebraska five years ago. years ago. years ago. <static>

And the first person to claim Nebraska exists just happens to work in a government funded industry.

James Tracy, professor of communications at Florida Atlantic University, would probably agree with you. In any case, Nebraska is a state of mind.

SW VandeCarr said:
In any case, Nebraska is a state of mind.

I thought that was Carolina... :confused:

SW VandeCarr said:
James Tracy, professor of communications at Florida Atlantic University, would probably agree with you. In any case, Nebraska is a state of mind.

Giving Florida a bad name, or worse name... :(

I don't believe in England. It's a conspiracy of cartographers.

I only believe in NYC. ALL HAIL BLOOMBERG

Ben Niehoff said:
I don't believe in England. It's a conspiracy of cartographers.

Well, I have been in England.

But I have never been in Nebraska.

Now that I think of it, the only continent I believe in is Europe.

From "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead", Tom Stoppard:

Rosencrantz: I don't believe in it anyway.
Guildenstern: What?
Rosencrantz: England.
Guildenstern: Just a conspiracy of cartographers, then?

I created Nebraska. Why is there so much fuss about it?

Oh, com'on people. Haven't you heard of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom? There are lions and tigers roaming around Nebraska.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZg2tE3xJDY

Last edited:
Nebraska is at least as real as Bielefeld is real in my home country (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bielefeld_Conspiracy).

jtbell said:
My wife and I drove across Nebraska five years ago. years ago. years ago. <static>

So you are one of THEM?

jtbell said:

People who drive across Nebraska and stay awake (from Iowa to Wyoming) should get a medal.

EDIT: If you have a choice, drive across Kansas instead. Nebraska has that annoying overhang above Colorado that turns a dull trip into a maddening one. You begin to think you'll never get out of Nebraska. Besides, in Kansas you can stop near the Colorado border and drive down to Mt Sunflower. It's the highest mountain in all of Kansas and well worth the trip. There may well be no mountain like it in the whole world!

Last edited:
I LOVE driving across Nebraska on the back roads. Every little town has an interesting diner and the people are friendly.
I met a great couple in Mason City. He likes old cars as much as I do - he has 400 of them. She has three barns full of antiques, she wholesales to shops on both coasts.

In Grand Island, met two couples making a cross country jaunt in pre WW1 Model T Fords.

Try state route 2 through Sandhill country. You'll not be bored.

old jim

I lived in Nebraska for 13 years. I even have two sons that were born there.

And driving across Nebraska along the Platte River is great. I've kayaked down the Platte in Colorado and canoed down the Platte near Ashland.

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo is probably one of the top 3 zoos in the US. Unfortunately, Rosenblatt Stadium (which used to be right beside the zoo) is gone. Minor league baseball is great (much better than major league baseball prices), plus they had the College World Series each year.

And it seems like every soccer field is next to a corn field - and the last several minutes of every game seems to be spent with the winning team kicking the ball as far as possible into the corn field to try and kill off the time left in the game.

And you know what's best of all? There's no party affiliation for state offices until you reach governor, lt governor, or US Congress (a federal office; not a state office). Okay, granted, there's really not much difference between Nebraska Republicans and Nebraska Democrats, but I think that might be because of the lack of party affiliation for most offices.

Nebraska is awesome!

Worth mentioning a Warren Buffett speech... :)

I came in from Nebraska today, and you’re probably all familiar with us, mainly by our football team. We have those fellows with the big white helmets with those red ‘N’s on them. I asked one of our starters the other day, “What’s the ‘N’ stand for?” And he said, “Knowledge.” We make it tough on them though. I mean you don’t coast through Nebraska just because you’re a football player. They major in agricultural economics, and there’s a two question final for all of the players. And the first question is, “What did old MacDonald have?” And they were giving that to one of our potential Heisman Trophy winners the other day. He started to sweat. Finally he brightened up, he said, “Farm!” The professor, delighted of course, you don’t want to flunk a Heisman candidate. So he said, “Now,” he said. “You’re halfway home. Just one more question. How do you spell ‘farm’?” Now the guy really starts to sweat, and he looks at the ceiling and he looks around. Finally his face brightens up and he says, “Ee-i-ee-i-oh!”

Jamin2112 said:
I'm not convinced that the state of Nebraska actually exists. All these people claiming to from Nebraska could just be actors. The pictures supposedly from Nebraska? Photoshopped, I'm guessing. I even flew across the country once and I didn't see Nebraska anywhere when I looked out the window.

The evidence for the existence of a city named Omaha is somewhat stronger than the evidence for the existence of the state of Nebraska. But does the existence of "Omaha, Nebraska" imply the existence of Nebraska?

...does the existence of "Omaha, Nebraska" imply the existence of Nebraska?

Loren Eiseley fan that I am , Lincoln sure does.

1. What do you mean by "Nebraska was an inside job"?

This phrase refers to the conspiracy theory that the state of Nebraska was somehow involved or responsible for a major event or incident.

2. What is the evidence for this conspiracy theory?

There is no credible evidence to support the idea that Nebraska was involved in any kind of inside job. This theory is based on speculation and misinformation.

3. Who is promoting this conspiracy theory?

There are a few individuals and groups who promote this theory, but they are not reputable sources and their claims have been debunked by experts.

4. Why do people believe in this theory?

People may believe in this theory because they are seeking an explanation for a significant event or looking for someone to blame. It may also be due to a lack of understanding of the facts and a tendency to believe in misinformation.

5. What is the harm in believing in this conspiracy theory?

Believing in this conspiracy theory can harm the reputation and credibility of individuals and organizations in Nebraska. It can also distract from real issues and important discussions. Additionally, spreading false information can create confusion and division among people.