Washer vs cylindrical shell method for computing volumes

In summary, the disk and cylindrical shell methods are different in their geometric objects used, but can arrive at the same solution. The washer method is a corollary to the disk method and is used when the structure of the solid allows for inference of its cross-sectional area. The cylindrical shell method is used when this is not possible. In the cylindrical shell method, the rotation is parallel to the axis of revolution and may require computing max and min values and shifting the solid. It is unclear if computing the thickness of the inner cylinder is necessary in this scenario.
jaruta
Hello,

Homework Statement

My problem regards the disk|washer, and cylindrical shell methods for finding volumes in single variable calc. My problem is basically am I understanding these two methods and their relationships properly.

Fundamentally, these methods are indentical, as we can arrive at the same solution whichever one we use. the difference is in the mechanics. At least that`s what I can tell from experience. The way in which I comprehend these methods is basically such that the washer method (which is essentially a corrolary to the disk method, no?) is applicable when the structure of the solid is such that one can infer the cross-sectional area; whereas, in the cyclidrical shell method one cannot. Moreover, because the rotation in the cylidrical shell method is parallel to the axis of revolution one would need to compute the max and min values and shift the solid to properly compute the volume once the area is revolved. Under this scenario, would it also be required to compute the thickness of the inner cylinder if it changed?

Physics news on Phys.org
jaruta said:
Hello,

Homework Statement

My problem regards the disk|washer, and cylindrical shell methods for finding volumes in single variable calc. My problem is basically am I understanding these two methods and their relationships properly.

Fundamentally, these methods are indentical, as we can arrive at the same solution whichever one we use.
Merely arriving at the same numerical answer does not make these methods identical
. The geometric objects that are used are very different.
jaruta said:
the difference is in the mechanics. At least that`s what I can tell from experience. The way in which I comprehend these methods is basically such that the washer method (which is essentially a corrolary to the disk method, no?)
Yes. A washer is a disk with a circular hole at its center.
jaruta said:
is applicable when the structure of the solid is such that one can infer the cross-sectional area; whereas, in the cyclidrical shell method one cannot.
No, that's not the difference. In both methods you are finding the the volume of a typical volume element, and this volume comes from the area of some cross section.

Most (all?) problems can be done using either method, but often one method is more convenient to use.
jaruta said:
Moreover, because the rotation in the cylidrical shell method is parallel to the axis of revolution one would need to compute the max and min values and shift the solid to properly compute the volume once the area is revolved. Under this scenario, would it also be required to compute the thickness of the inner cylinder if it changed?
I'm not clear on what you're asking here? Do you have an example in mind?

1. What is the difference between the washer method and the cylindrical shell method?

The washer method and the cylindrical shell method are two different approaches used to compute the volume of a solid of revolution. The main difference between the two is the shape of the cross-sectional area that is being integrated to find the volume. In the washer method, the cross-sections are circular and in the cylindrical shell method, the cross-sections are rectangles or squares.

2. When should I use the washer method and when should I use the cylindrical shell method?

The choice between the washer method and the cylindrical shell method depends on the shape of the solid of revolution. If the solid has a hole or a void in the middle, then the washer method would be more suitable. On the other hand, if the solid has a curved surface, then the cylindrical shell method would be more appropriate.

3. How do I set up the integral for the washer method?

In the washer method, the integral is set up by integrating the cross-sectional area of the solid with respect to the axis of revolution. This can be done by finding the difference between the outer and inner radius of the cross-section and then squaring it and multiplying by pi.

4. What is the formula for the cylindrical shell method?

The formula for the cylindrical shell method is V = 2π ∫(radius)(height)(thickness)dx, where radius is the distance from the axis of revolution to the shell, height is the length of the shell, and thickness is the width of the shell. This formula is derived from the lateral surface area of a cylinder, which is 2πrh.

5. Can I use both methods to compute the volume of the same solid?

Yes, it is possible to use both the washer method and the cylindrical shell method to compute the volume of the same solid. However, it is important to choose the appropriate method for each specific problem to ensure accuracy and efficiency.