Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Washing clothes?

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1

tgt

What's the difference between washing clothes in a washing machine and

Filling the tub with water, clothes and powder. Soak it for an hour or so. Drain then repeat again.

Or other lazy, non mechanical process? If so what process?

Assuming clothes that aren't too dirty and with no special treatment like delicate material or colours or anything.

With the method I described, if I used hot water compared to only using cold water in a washing machine, would it turn out better then the washing machine?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not much difference really, other than it being a lot easier to just throw the clothes in a washing machine than to spend time hand-washing. I find it hard work to get the soap out (you need to rinse the clothes quite a few times) but I only really handwash when I've got, say, one white shirt to wash, or something like that.

Washing machines don't use cold water (unless you put the setting to "cold"). They have different settings and different temperatures for each setting.

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3
    We dont use the washing machine even though we have.

5. Mar 27, 2008 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You'll never get your clothes clean just getting them wet. You need a washboard and then you, "Plunge, and scrub! Plunge, and scrub! Plunge, and scrub!" Haven't you ever seen the movie "Far and Away"? They give directions.

6. Mar 27, 2008 #5

tgt

I wasn't even thinking of rubbing the clothes. Just let them float in soap water. But rinsing them would need some labour?

I know. I was just assuming it to make the comarison.

7. Mar 27, 2008 #6

tgt

why not?

8. Mar 27, 2008 #7

tgt

So soaking them in soap water don't work? Why not? What if it's only sweat and no dirt or anything like that?

9. Mar 27, 2008 #8
    The washing machine is not good at washing clothes! My hands does.

10. Mar 27, 2008 #9
    I wash some things by hand, but everyday stuff goes into the machine, which is much faster/easier.

11. Mar 27, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're not doing anything to actually get the dirt out. The washing machine agitates to perform this function. You'd have to pretty vigorously stir your clothes to really do a good job, which is really a lot easier if you're just washing them one at a time. The washing machine lets you do them all at once instead of one item at a time.

12. Mar 27, 2008 #11
    Nothing except the washing machine will generally make a better job of it, unless your willing to stir the clothes around a bit occasionally, making the same sort of noises your washing machine makes.

However that said if you have delicates silks, satins and woollens of extreme delicacy it can short of dry cleaning be the only way to wash them.

13. Mar 27, 2008 #12
    My granny had a copper wash pot, and a giant stick to stir the wash with. It was labor intensive.

14. Mar 27, 2008 #13

wolram

Gold Member

I do not have a washing machine so i either take my clothes to moms to wash or i put them in the bath and stomp them, i put my dripping wet shirts on clothes hangers to dry outside
    so i do not need to iron them.
    I find this is a good way to soften toe nails and makes them much easier to cut.

15. Mar 27, 2008 #14

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Nothing really. With the exception of scrubbing, that's exactly how clothes were washed before the creation of washing machines. I know quite a few people who wash their clothes in the bath tub because it saves a significant amount of money since apartments generally do not have washing machines. You can either pay $5 to wash your clothes, or you can stop being a lazy ******* and just do it in the tub.

16. Mar 27, 2008 #15
    Your washing machine can consume up to 25% of your electrical consumption for your house. Your TV by comparison is much less, less even than your Kettle or percolator. By comparison light bulbs barely register.

17. Mar 27, 2008 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The soap will do less for you than plunging and scrubbing. Soap does break down a lot of types of dirt and grease, making it easier to be washed out by the agitation of the water, but the agitation of the water through the clothes is much more important.

18. Mar 27, 2008 #17

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Which begs the question of why you had grease on your pants to begin with.

19. Mar 27, 2008 #18

tgt

So if no scrubbing then washing machine is a must?

20. Mar 27, 2008 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

A washing machine is not a "must", it is a convenient, quick and effective way to clean clothes.

If you watch people in some third world countries washing clothes in the river, they beat the clothes with rocks.

As Bob said a washboard (a board with ridges) was used for a long time to scrub clothes on to get rid of dirt. You would then put the soapy clothes through a ringer to squeeze as much soapy water out as possible before you start to rinse, then run the rinsed clothes through the ringer again to get as much water out as possible so that they dry quicker.

Hot water is good for greasy stains, but can actually cause some stains to "set" and become permanent. Hot water also causes clothes to fade faster.

Some delicate "hand washables" call for only gentle squeezing in warm soapy water, and no wringing or pulling.

In other words, read the clothing labels that tell you how to launder each item.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  21. Mar 27, 2008 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not really...being anything from a sloppy eater of fried food to a car mechanic is going to get grease on your clothes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?