Washing clothes?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
If God meant for man to count higher than 1,048,575 he would have given him more fingers and toes.
Offtopic, but what does this quote mean exactly? Why that number specifically?

russ_watters
Mentor
It's binary.

Danger
Gold Member
Not really...being anything from a sloppy eater of fried food to a car mechanic is going to get grease on your clothes.
Yeah, but Bob's is on the inside. Leftovers, perhaps?

Well to cut the drain time out of the whole pic, you would have to place each peice folded on top of one another then put into a box that press'es them, then shoots water and soup through them back and forth over and over again till all the dirt is gone, wouldnt need to spin, just flushes out all the dirt and germ's, until the water quality is fair, then it stop's. And then blows hot air into it, then steam's it, and they come out with no wrinkly's dirt, or germ's. It would look like a Big box. and in side would be alot of small hole's that suck and blow jets of water and soup, and then hole's that only open when its time to dry and steam.

All you would have to do is fold them before puting them in.

Or we can just pick from hand washing, scrub board, or a washing mach, to do it.
there isnt much things that can replace the effectiveness of a washing mach.

Last edited:
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yeah, but Bob's is on the inside. Leftovers, perhaps?
Wouldn't that make it a leftunder?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well to cut the drain time out of the whole pic, you would have to place each peice folded on top of one another then put into a box that press'es them, then shoots water and soup through them back and forth over and over again till all the dirt is gone, wouldnt need to spin, just flushes out all the dirt and germ's, until the water quality is fair, then it stop's. And then blows hot air into it, then steam's it, and they come out with no wrinkly's dirt, or germ's. It would look like a Big box. and in side would be alot of small hole's that suck and blow jets of water and soup, and then hole's that only open when its time to dry and steam.

All you would have to do is fold them before puting them in.

Or we can just pick from hand washing, scrub board, or a washing mach, to do it.
there isnt much things that can replace the effectiveness of a washing mach.
I really think washing with soup would be counter-productive, but maybe it would hide the grease stains. :uhh: :rofl:

Danger
Gold Member
Wouldn't that make it a leftunder?
Drat! I got caught on a language issue. :redface:
Words is my life; now what's I gonna do...? :cry:

You'll never get your clothes clean just getting them wet. You need a washboard and then you, "Plunge, and scrub! Plunge, and scrub! Plunge, and scrub!" Haven't you ever seen the movie "Far and Away"? They give directions.
I will just like to say that this made me laugh outloud.

And I agree, I wouldn't think that clothes get clean without a little friction between the fibers, you know, when it makes foam.

Rabbid clothes!

I really think washing with soup would be counter-productive, but maybe it would hide the grease stains. :uhh: :rofl:
>.< i hope you knew what i meant by the word soup x.X it's soap, yes it wouldnt take much to see that my spelling isnt like everyone els'es, i tend to type in a format of sounding things out, like instead of typen ew, i would type eu, instead of SEGA i would type Sayga, but now that i think of it soap wouldnt be needed, only for smell and disafectant
The pen is mighty'er than the sword. My sword is mighty'er than my pen. (sword would be my speaking abillity)(pen would be my spelling in typing and in letter's...) There are to meany word's that i cant realy use on the internet due to the fact i would have to spell them...well difrent. The reason why is because i dont type or wright english very well...
I only speak english, and i do such beyond the grace of a poet :S

-=(Communication's)=-See a miss spelt word? if you know it's miss spelt why bother fixing it when you know what it mean's allready? :P Yes but it would be nice, to have a washing mac, that steam's and clean's your things without spinning them around -.- people buy things because there difrent and everyone els dosnt have one :) but i like things that are more effective and take less time to carry out there atended function's. Hence what a tool is made for. wow..talking about this has made me feel dirty...ty

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
>.< i hope you knew what i meant by the word soup x.X it's soap,
Of course, which is why it created such a funny image for me that I had to comment on it, thinking about squeezing soup through one's clothes.

tgt
You'll never get your clothes clean just getting them wet. You need a washboard and then you, "Plunge, and scrub! Plunge, and scrub! Plunge, and scrub!" Haven't you ever seen the movie "Far and Away"? They give directions.
Is that how you would wash a sleeping bag as well? But scrub with what? Just rub the material against each other?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is that how you would wash a sleeping bag as well? But scrub with what? Just rub the material against each other?
I'd just take it to a cleaners if it can't be thrown in a washing machine. Let them figure it out. I have tossed sleeping bags into the washer (but also do as someone mentioned above of using a sheet or thin blanket as a liner...I fold a sheet in half, sew the bottom edge where your feet will go, and then sew up along half of the long side...creates a nice pocket to slide into and if you are a restless sleeper, like I am when sleeping on hard ground, the liner doesn't unwrap) and then the dryer. The hardest part of handwashing something of that size will be adequately wringing it out so it'll dry. Though, if it can be handwashed, I can't see why it can't be machine washed on a delicate cycle at least...depending on the fabric and lining, it might need to be dry cleaned.

tgt
I'd just take it to a cleaners if it can't be thrown in a washing machine. Let them figure it out. I have tossed sleeping bags into the washer (but also do as someone mentioned above of using a sheet or thin blanket as a liner...I fold a sheet in half, sew the bottom edge where your feet will go, and then sew up along half of the long side...creates a nice pocket to slide into and if you are a restless sleeper, like I am when sleeping on hard ground, the liner doesn't unwrap) and then the dryer. The hardest part of handwashing something of that size will be adequately wringing it out so it'll dry. Though, if it can be handwashed, I can't see why it can't be machine washed on a delicate cycle at least...depending on the fabric and lining, it might need to be dry cleaned.
Does dry clean give the best results? What other cleaning methods are there?

Servants. Or the students favourite, hanging it out of the window a few days so it can air. But I think dry cleaning is the best as it's a professional service. Also hanging your clothes on the line in a heavy rain shower is quite good. Not that I do that obviously. :uhh:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If it says to dry clean, dry cleaning gives the best results. If it doesn't say to dry clean, then it might not. Professional cleaners can also do wet cleaning on large items if you can't do it at home...as was pointed out before...DO WHAT THE LABEL SAYS. Or if you're still under 30, call your mom. :rofl:

tgt
If it says to dry clean, dry cleaning gives the best results. If it doesn't say to dry clean, then it might not. Professional cleaners can also do wet cleaning on large items if you can't do it at home...as was pointed out before...DO WHAT THE LABEL SAYS. Or if you're still under 30, call your mom. :rofl:
Unfortunately it says to hand wash. They probably don't do hand wash anymore in shops?

Unfortunately it says to hand wash. They probably don't do hand wash anymore in shops?
If it's one item wash it in the sink with some soap powder. Make sure the water is comfortable to wash in and heat shouldn't be an issue. Leave it to soak for a few hours, and mash it around occasionally and it should be fine. If your really lazy like me get your maid to do it. :smile:

tgt
If it's one item wash it in the sink with some soap powder. Make sure the water is comfortable to wash in and heat shouldn't be an issue. Leave it to soak for a few hours, and mash it around occasionally and it should be fine. If your really lazy like me get your maid to do it. :smile:
Why dosen't this method work for 10 items say?

Why dosen't this method work for 10 items say?
It does, you'll just need a bath instead. It sounded to me though like you just wanted to wash 1 item.

tgt
It does, you'll just need a bath instead. It sounded to me though like you just wanted to wash 1 item.
I orginally asked washing a basket of clothes whether the method you described worked. Everyone else said no. You seem to agree? Have you tried it?

Then the sleeping bag question came up as I really need to wash it, it hasn't been washed for a decade?

I orginally asked washing a basket of clothes whether the method you described worked. Everyone else said no. You seem to agree? Have you tried it?

Then the sleeping bag question came up as I really need to wash it, it hasn't been washed for a decade?
Yes I have tried it and yes it works. If people say that washing your clothes by hand doesn't work then they are wrong, simple as that. It might not be as good as using a washing machine but it will get your clothes clean or at the least much cleaner.

I'd be careful about washing a sleeping bag, it can be done - I've washed a quilt before - but the amount of water in it makes it a pain to carry, make sure you wring it out thoroughly, or it will take ages to dry. Give it a long soaking as well and top it up with hot water occasionally.

Last edited:
tgt
Yes I have tried it and yes it works. If people say that washing your clothes by hand doesn't work then they are wrong, simple as that.
I think you were referring to just soaking the clothes in soap water for an hour or so. Does this exclude all forms of rubbing and doing physical labour on it?

I think you were referring to just soaking the clothes in soap water for an hour or so. Does this exclude all forms of rubbing and doing physical labour on it?
I don't think I said that you shouldn't put a bit of physical effort into it. The method I use is to give it a good pummelling, go off for a while then do the same again, repeat until your happy it's clean. You can of course spend half an hour giving your clothes a good beating until they are clean, but if time isn't a factor I prefer to just let nature take it's course, up to a point.

tgt
oh, okay, here is your quote. You did say mash it a bit. So just knock it a bit? A few swirls?

oh, okay, here is your quote. You did say mash it a bit. So just knock it a bit? A few swirls?
Yeah give it a good wring and then put it back in the water and bash it around a bit and then come back later. Add a bit of hot water every now and then, should do the trick.