Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Washington State University

1. Mar 18, 2010 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Remember my "I Am A Failure" thread, where I was depressed about being rejected to a college?

Well, this thread is the opposite.

This thread serves but one purpose.

For me to state to everyone I know and a lot of people I don't know that I just got accepted to Wazzu!!

I feel absolutely euphoric.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

Nice. What are you going to major in?

This is actually great news.

4. Mar 18, 2010 #3

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Chemistry with a minor in Physics.

5. Mar 18, 2010 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congrats! As tough as it is to be confronted with rejection, success is always just around the corner. :smile:

6. Mar 18, 2010 #5
    Congratulations!

Keep in mind to take things one step at a time. You can't change the past, but you can always work forward from the present. Remember to break large goals into smaller manageable goals so that way you don't get overwhelmed.

7. Mar 18, 2010 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

I'll be honest with you here, sure why not. Don't minor. Try to get BS/MS in 5 years or whatever allows you to learn the most about a single subject. Don't skimp out on the liberal arts either. Sure now that I've taken lots of them its mostly stupid b.s. to me but you dont know the lesson until you've learned it.

Point is. Chemistry and Physics are not related. If you were to take lots of biology classes alongside with chemistry or math thats different, but majoring in Chemistry and then minoring in Physics at most will give you like modern physics exposure and electrodynamics classes, thats in addition to physics 1+2 with labs. I don't see the point

8. Mar 18, 2010 #7

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Well, I just enjoy some of the physics stuff, so I want to learn about it.

Although, considering that classes cost money, that part may change.

9. Mar 18, 2010 #8

cronxeh

Gold Member

Precisely. Having a masters degree puts you way, way, ahead of the curve. Wasting time on classes that won't give you an edge in either grad school or employment opportunities is hazardous to your lifestyle. Taking 2-3 extra classes in biology (microbiology, genetics, biochemistry) in addition to chemistry courses will give you an advantage.

Once you get to the point where you can understand and learn things yourself, you can just read up on physics or whatever will float your boat by then.

10. Mar 18, 2010 #9
    Unless you need it for your degree, you might want to study physics on your own. Judging by your posts, I'm sure you're fully capable of self-studying. As far as I can tell, a college degree is mostly based on work you do on your own(papers, studying, homework, etc). The point of degree programs isn't to educate a student, but to give them credit for what they have learned.

11. Mar 18, 2010 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice :approve:! A big congrats!

Bring a warm coat, it gets chilly there in winter.

12. Mar 18, 2010 #11
    Congrats! I hope you enjoy the rain.

13. Mar 18, 2010 #12

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Haha... I live only 100 miles away. So I'm used to the rain and the cold weather that doesn't exist anymore in Spokane for some reason.

I want winter back...

But no! No sad thoughts today!

14. Mar 18, 2010 #13
    Congrats man.

You should change your user name to "No. Limit" now

15. Mar 18, 2010 #14
    Congratulations Char.

Enjoy the college years, learn a lot and have all the fun you can have !

16. Mar 18, 2010 #15
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2630881#post2630881 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  17. Mar 19, 2010 #16
    Way to go! Happy news. See? Wait a few days; things will change. :smile:

18. Mar 19, 2010 #17

drizzle

Gold Member

Great Char. Limit! Wish you the best :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook