What Would Happen if I Threw My Watch into a Black Hole?

In summary, if you throw your watch into a black hole, it will slow down and eventually stop. When it is near the black hole, the watch will become redder and fainter until it is no longer detectable.
Emmanuel_Euler
what does happen if i threw my watch into a black hole??

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You don't see the watch fall and the clock work.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
TESL@ said:
You don't see the watch fall and the clock work.
that what i want to hear!

Your watch will appear to slow as it approaches, and virtually halt by the time it reaches the event horizon. Photons emitted, or reflected by the watch face can no longer escape the intense gravity of the black hole.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler and Dr.ahmad adnan
and when it's infall does seem to have virtually halted to you, it will keep showing virtually the same time to you,
but light from it will get redder and redder until it is no longer detectable.
It will apparently fade away into non existence.

It ticks (as measured by you) slower and slower, you see it redder and fainter, getting closer and closer to the horizon but never crossing it. In reality it crosses the horizon, no problem, you will just never see it. And so the black hole gets heavier by the mass of a watch.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
The watch will start to slow once it approaches the black hole and as it enters the black hole the watch will stop.

So many people answered the question and there is no reason to bump the thread. Let this be the last.

TESL@ said:
So many people answered the question and there is no reason to bump the thread. Let this be the last.
ohhh sorry i forget to thank all who helped me.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is created when a massive star dies and collapses onto itself.

2. What would happen if I threw my watch into a black hole?

If you were to throw your watch into a black hole, it would be stretched and squeezed by the immense gravitational forces, known as tidal forces. The watch would eventually be torn apart into its individual atoms and become part of the black hole.

3. Can anything escape from a black hole?

No, nothing can escape from a black hole. Once an object crosses the event horizon, the point of no return, it is unable to escape the gravitational pull of the black hole.

4. Would time be affected if my watch fell into a black hole?

Yes, time would be affected if your watch fell into a black hole. As it gets closer to the black hole, time would appear to slow down for your watch due to the gravitational time dilation effect. This means that time would pass slower for your watch compared to an observer watching from a safe distance.

5. Could a black hole destroy the entire universe?

No, a black hole cannot destroy the entire universe. While they have extremely strong gravitational forces, they are confined to a specific region in space. Also, black holes eventually evaporate over time due to a process called Hawking radiation, so they cannot continue growing indefinitely to destroy the entire universe.