1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water melting

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 24.0 kg sample of ice is at 0.00°C. How much heat is needed to melt it? (For water Lf = 334 kJ/kg and Lv = 2257 kJ/kg.)

A)5.42*10^4 kJ B)0.00 kJ C)8.02*10^3 kJ D)2.19*10^6 kJ

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2
    bigboss, as part of PF forum rules, you need to show some sort of attempt in order for us to help you. (Or else Borek will make you wear that wig!! :smile: )

I am sure you know something about this problem...relevant equations.

So, that being said, what do you think about this problem? What kind of concepts have you been talking/reading about in class?

:smile:

P.S. I got you started in your other thread.

4. Jun 9, 2009 #3
    i beleive i have figured this out, q= M*Lf

so 24*334= 8.02*10^3

5. Jun 9, 2009 #4
    I am not sure about this. Do you know what you are doing here? Or are you just multiplying numbers until you get one of the offered answers? :smile:

Like Borek asked: what do Lf and Lv stand for? (I know; I just want you to tell me)

EDIT: Been awhile since I have dealt with heat; I think you are correct.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  6. Jun 9, 2009 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Note: I asked, but then I deleted my post to not interfere.

And honestly, I don't know. I can guess, but I have never seen these symbols used. Call it cultural difference :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook