Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water Surface with Bernouli's Equation

1. Jun 21, 2009 #1
    Hi!

I got a question concerning a solution to calculate the evolution of surface heights of oceans. Since I'm only interested in the surface itself I omit the volume underneath and the air above the surface. I grabbed a linearized and simplified version of the Bernouli-Equation which I looked up in a paper by Jerry Tessendorf who utilized this equation to make further calculations for ocean surfaces ['Simulating Ocean Water', Jerry Tessendorf, SIGGRAPH 2004]. The equation is the following:

(∂4h(x,t)/∂t4)=g2*∆2*h(x,t)

in which x is the position of the surface and t the time. But this equation looks like it could only resolve the height of a one-dimensional "surface" since there's no y position given. So what do you think of it - is this equation suitable for calculating the surface height of any position on the two-dimensional watersurface or do I need to change the equation? I'm still very new to this kind of physics, so maybe one of you guys can help me?

Thanks a lot!

Phong

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted