1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water tank problem

1. Mar 11, 2016 #1
    • Member warned not to place multiple questions in the same thread.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cylinder water tank its radius 0.5 m, its height is 2 m and it is full of water. Determine the work done to move the water to a height of 4 meters above the height of the cylinder water tank.

Another question related to it is:
    An uniform iron chain its length is 10 m and its mass is 10 kg for each meter. Calculate the amount of work done to fold it to the top.

2. Relevant equations
    Work = f *d

3. The attempt at a solution
    So at the first I thought that plug the casual mgh here because water's mass is not concentrated in a spot. It has different heights. So If the height of the cylinder is 2 meter then I can take the height of 1 meter as a reference. If I sum all the potential energy of the water it will be equal to zero (Since it cancels out). Now I assumed that It is on one level now with a potential energy of 0 and I calculated the work needed by getting the h first which is 1 + 4 = 5 Then using the equation mgh to get the work done.

Second question: Okay I am facing a problem here.
    So I thought If I want to fold it (That is what I understood of the question and translated it) then I have to move one of its halves to the other. As it is uniform then I should cut it to 5 meters pieces each of them has a mass of 50 kg. Then use the same approach that I used in question 1. To make a level where the potential energy is 0 which is x = 2.5 and take it as my reference point. Then I want it to move upward to 7.5 m. Get the d of these 7.5-2.5 = 5 m
    Plug it into the work equation = mgh but my answer is wrong. In my text book it shows only the final answer without steps. So as I result I found that instead of 50 kg it used 60kg. So I guess I have something wrong here.

Edit: there is a much easier way to do it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I believe you are correct. Half the chain (50kg) is being raised 5m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted