Work Done to Move Water & Fold Iron Chain

In summary: We can use the equation W = mgh to calculate the work done, where W = work, m = mass, g = acceleration due to gravity, and h = height. In this case, W = (50kg)(9.8m/s^2)(5m) = 2450J. In summary, the work done to fold an iron chain of length 10m and mass of 10kg per meter to a height of 7.5m is 2450J.
Biker
Member warned not to place multiple questions in the same thread.

Homework Statement

A cylinder water tank its radius 0.5 m, its height is 2 m and it is full of water. Determine the work done to move the water to a height of 4 meters above the height of the cylinder water tank.

Another question related to it is:
An uniform iron chain its length is 10 m and its mass is 10 kg for each meter. Calculate the amount of work done to fold it to the top.

Homework Equations

Work = f *d

The Attempt at a Solution

So at the first I thought that plug the casual mgh here because water's mass is not concentrated in a spot. It has different heights. So If the height of the cylinder is 2 meter then I can take the height of 1 meter as a reference. If I sum all the potential energy of the water it will be equal to zero (Since it cancels out). Now I assumed that It is on one level now with a potential energy of 0 and I calculated the work needed by getting the h first which is 1 + 4 = 5 Then using the equation mgh to get the work done.

Second question: Okay I am facing a problem here.
So I thought If I want to fold it (That is what I understood of the question and translated it) then I have to move one of its halves to the other. As it is uniform then I should cut it to 5 meters pieces each of them has a mass of 50 kg. Then use the same approach that I used in question 1. To make a level where the potential energy is 0 which is x = 2.5 and take it as my reference point. Then I want it to move upward to 7.5 m. Get the d of these 7.5-2.5 = 5 m
Plug it into the work equation = mgh but my answer is wrong. In my textbook it shows only the final answer without steps. So as I result I found that instead of 50 kg it used 60kg. So I guess I have something wrong here.

Edit: there is a much easier way to do it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you are correct. Half the chain (50kg) is being raised 5m.

Likes Biker

1. What is work done to move water?

Work done to move water refers to the amount of energy required to move a certain volume of water from one place to another. This can include lifting water, pumping it, or pushing it through pipes.

2. How is work done to move water calculated?

The calculation for work done to move water involves multiplying the force applied to the water by the distance it is moved. This can be represented by the equation W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What factors affect the work done to move water?

The amount of work required to move water can be influenced by factors such as the volume of water being moved, the distance it needs to be moved, the force applied to move it, and any resistance or friction encountered during the movement.

4. How does work done to move water relate to energy efficiency?

The amount of work required to move water can directly impact the energy efficiency of the process. The more work that is needed, the more energy is required to complete the task. Therefore, reducing the work done to move water can improve energy efficiency.

5. What is the significance of folding an iron chain?

Folding an iron chain is a physical demonstration of the concept of work. When the chain is folded, work is done to change its shape and arrangement. This can also be seen as an example of how work can be done to overcome resistance or force, as the chain resists being folded and requires a certain amount of force to do so.