Water temperature range in a hot water cylinder

In summary, a solar thermal water heating system disperses the heat differential between the top and bottom of the tank by moving the hotter water to the top.
BobBob20
I am thinking about solar water heating. The way that the system gathers heat is by moving any heated water into into the cylinder where it rises to the top and cold water is taken from the bottom of the cylinder and moved through the heating panel.

Because the hot water will always rise there will always be a temperature difference between the water at the top and the bottom.

But because of the motion of the water molecules the heat differential will disperse.

So, for example, If the temperature is 50°C halfway up the cylinder, what will be the highest and lowest water temperatures in the cylinder?

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
I don't think it's that simple. If the tank is insulated there is no heat loss so the temperature of the whole tank could eventually approach that of the output from the solar panel. I've heard that pressurised systems can get hot enough to melt lead solder and that special solder as to be used!

Everything I have read says that the water in the hot water cylinder will be hotter at the top than at the bottom of the cylinder according to the way the temperature affects the density of the water.

I am looking for a way to estimate what the difference in temperature will be between the top and bottom of the cylinder.

I guess it will be a balance between the rate at which the hotter water rises versus the rate at which the hotter water loses its heat energy through conduction to the cooler water.

Hot water rises yes but I don't know if that's the main reason why the top of a thermal store is hotter. I thought solar panels delivered hot water to the top of the tank like a boiler/furnace?

My thermal store is heated by an oil boiler that way. Hot water goes in the top at about 75-80C and heats the top of the store until a thermost about half way down exceeds 60C. The return water taken from the bottom of the store seems to be about 50-55C (it's cooled by the return from the UFH). The boiler provides about 20-30C uplift.

Thank you for your inquiry about the water temperature range in a hot water cylinder for a solar water heating system. The temperature range in the cylinder will depend on a few factors such as the size of the cylinder, the amount of water being heated, and the efficiency of the heating panel. Generally, the temperature at the top of the cylinder will be higher than the temperature at the bottom due to the hot water rising and the cold water sinking. However, as you mentioned, the motion of the water molecules will cause the heat to disperse, resulting in a gradual decrease in temperature from the top to the bottom of the cylinder.

It is difficult to determine the exact highest and lowest water temperatures without knowing the specific details of the system. However, in a well-designed solar water heating system, the top of the cylinder can reach temperatures of 60-70°C while the bottom may be around 40-50°C. This range is typically safe for domestic use and can be adjusted by controlling the flow of water through the heating panel.

I hope this information helps in your understanding of the temperature range in a hot water cylinder for solar water heating. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. Thank you.

1. What is the optimal water temperature range for a hot water cylinder?

The ideal water temperature range for a hot water cylinder is between 120-140 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature range ensures that the water is hot enough for daily use, but not so hot that it can cause scalding or energy waste.

2. Can the water temperature range in a hot water cylinder be adjusted?

Yes, the water temperature in a hot water cylinder can be adjusted by using the thermostat on the cylinder or on the hot water heater. It is important to follow manufacturer instructions and make small adjustments at a time to avoid potential damage or safety hazards.

3. Why is it important to maintain the water temperature range in a hot water cylinder?

Maintaining the appropriate water temperature range in a hot water cylinder is important for several reasons. Firstly, it ensures that the water is at a safe temperature for daily use. It also helps prevent energy waste and reduces the risk of bacteria growth in the water.

4. What are the consequences of having a water temperature that is too high in a hot water cylinder?

If the water temperature in a hot water cylinder is too high, it can lead to scalding and burns. It can also cause energy waste and increase the risk of bacteria growth in the water. Additionally, high water temperatures can put unnecessary strain on the hot water cylinder and lead to potential damage or malfunctions.

5. Are there any recommended temperature ranges for different household needs?

Yes, there are recommended temperature ranges for different household needs. For example, the recommended temperature for handwashing and showering is between 105-112 degrees Fahrenheit, while the recommended temperature for dishwashing is between 120-140 degrees Fahrenheit. It is important to follow these guidelines for optimal safety and energy efficiency.