Why Isn't Water Flowing Through My Tube Consistently?

In summary, SJ is seeking advice for a small tray that collects water slowly. They have drilled a hole on the side and inserted a 1/4" vinyl tube, but the water does not always flow down the tube on its own. They have tried using black rubber tubing as well, but with the same results. Other users suggest stiffening the tube and keeping it as close to the base of the tray as possible. The minimum inner dimension needed for reliable water flow is dependent on the head pressure and the distance the tube has to go before heading downwards. It is also important to ensure that the inside of the tube is grease-free.
jeffulot42
Hello all,

I've not posted in a long time, but I will start by thanking you for your input pertaining to my last posts (about ice). They were very helpful.

I have a new small dilemma, and I hope you can give me some direction on how to resolve it.

I have a small tray that collects water slowly. This tray is only a foot long and 2" deep.

I've drilled a hole in the side of the tray (trying to attach a pic)http://www.biznet.net/images/capture.jpg and I've inserted a 1/4" vinyl tube with an inner dimension of 0.17".

The tube is inserted on the side (parallel to the table surface), so I don't know if that is causing the issue.

The tube runs to the edge of a table, and then straight downwards. No rising before it goes downward.

The tube will allow water to flow down it sometimes. and sometimes, no matter how deep the water gets, the water will not start flowing down the tube on its own unless I move it around.

Is the problem the inner diameter, or is the problem that I have the tube inserted at the side and horizontal of an inch or so?

I've tried this with black rubber tubing as well to see if it was the material. Same results.

I thought that the water would simply drip out the side and down the tube gradually as needed, but that does not seem to be happening.

Thank you in advance for any insight you might give.

SJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The tube will narrow considerably as it bends over the edge of the table.
You could try stiffening it somehow so that the bend is more gradual.

At these dimensions, there's not going to be much water pressure. A bubble in the tube could easily create an airlock, but I'd have thought you'd be able to see that. Can you see how far the water gets into the tube?
You could try flushing a little detergent through the tube first.

Thank you.

Is there a minimum inner dimension that you know of that would make it work more reliably?

Yes, we're trying to keep it as small as we can.

SJ

No, can't help with that. It would depend on the head pressure, i.e. the depth of water above the inlet. Make the inlet as close to the base of the tray as possible, and make the distance the tube has to go before heading downwards as short as possible. And as I said, make sure the inside of the tube is grease-free.

Hello SJ,

Based on the information provided, it seems that the issue may be related to resistance in the tube. Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for a fluid (in this case, water) to flow through a certain medium (the vinyl tube). The smaller the inner diameter of the tube, the higher the resistance will be. This means that the water will have a harder time flowing through the tube, and may not flow at all if the resistance is too high.

Another factor that could be contributing to the issue is the angle at which the tube is inserted into the tray. If the tube is not inserted at a slight downward angle, the water may not have enough force to overcome the resistance and flow down the tube.

To resolve this issue, you could try using a larger inner diameter tube, or adjusting the angle at which the tube is inserted. You could also try using a different type of tubing that has lower resistance, such as a wider or smoother material.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!

Related to Why Isn't Water Flowing Through My Tube Consistently?

What is water?

Water is a transparent, tasteless, and odorless chemical substance that is essential for all known forms of life. It covers about 71% of the Earth's surface and is the most abundant compound on Earth.

What is a tube?

A tube is a hollow cylindrical container, typically made of metal, plastic, or glass, used for containing, storing, or transporting liquids or gases.

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of the degree to which an object opposes the flow of electric current through it. It is typically represented by the symbol "R" and is measured in ohms.

How does water flow through a tube?

Water flows through a tube due to the pressure difference between the two ends of the tube. This pressure difference causes the water molecules to move from a higher pressure area to a lower pressure area, creating a flow.

How does resistance affect the flow of water through a tube?

The resistance of a tube affects the flow of water by creating friction between the water molecules and the walls of the tube. The higher the resistance, the more difficult it is for water to flow through the tube, resulting in a slower flow or even a blockage.