1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Water wicking up porous media and air humidity ?

1. Oct 18, 2016 #1
    Hello,

I'd like to know which of these 3 example I sketched would have a steadier and higher air humidity at measuring point, assuming same conditions (except those illustrated as different, like porous media thickness and measuring point), water level and air turbulence within larger container (illustrations are a cross view).
    Wild guesses are of course welcome since I don't need nor can ask for anything exact given my poor and generic example.

Thank you

Allison

717er6.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Guessing - #2.
    - assuming that the height up the sides is short enough to allow the "wick" to be wet at the top.
    - there is enough energy to remove water from the wick at the top
    - rule of thumb: water will climb higher via a wick than via diffusion in air.

Longer answer: it depends.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  4. Oct 19, 2016 #3
    I see, thank you.
    I erroneously thought it was #3 since I supposed the greater surface area of porous particles could play a role into replacing water vapor content in air more efficiently than porous particles slightly closer to measuring point.

5. Oct 19, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The process is, simplistically, water evaporates off the top and gets carried off by convection (to be replaced by water from below kinda soaking upwards.)
    If the top is not exposed to air that can circulate, then the air gets saturated so water no longer evaporates. This stops the process.
    I suspect 1 and 3 would be about the same... the air in the narrow parts would quickly get saturated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted