Is a Waterpik Better Than Flossing for Braces?

• Thread starter Daniel Y.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teeth
In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits and drawbacks of using a Waterpik for oral hygiene. Some participants have found it to be a great alternative to flossing, especially for those with dental work, while others have found it to be difficult to use and even break. There is also mention of using anti-bacterial solutions with the Waterpik and alternative methods for cleaning around dental work. Ultimately, it seems that personal preference and individual experience play a big role in determining the effectiveness of the Waterpik.
Daniel Y.
http://www.waterpik.com/oral-health-products/ (press start movie in the corner of the picture of the kid with the goofy smile)

http://www.waterpik.com/oral-health/clinically-proven.html

Does anyone have one of these? They're supposed to be really good for your teeth (and from those studies it sounds like a much better alternative to flossing). Since I have braces I don't floss, but I think I might get one of these.

Physics news on Phys.org

My dental hygienist, and the one I had before this one, both say flossing's better. Do yourself a favor - floss daily, at a minimum!

My floss: unwaxed, plain. I really don't like the teflon stuff.

I have a Waterpik, and after I thoroughly floss, the water pick blows out the food the flossing missed.

If you have any dental work, flossing will not be able to get the food, only the jets of water can blow it out of those tiny crevices.

That thing is so painful and I broke it...:redface: This is how I look trying to use that thing the last time it was working :yuck:

I was trying to remove the tip from the base to change it (to a clear one) and it fell off the table and proceeded bo break at the bottom of the tip. (close to the base) I couldn't even remove the broken tip with a plier!

A second point is that I can't even control where it goes. The water pushes against my teeth and It goes backwards. Then, the water flies everywhere! I don't know how people use this..on youtube they wouldn't post someone actually using their product, I wonder why?

Last edited:

I went out and bought one! I got the Ultra, and when I used it i was surprised with the results. I had it only on the second level and it cleared my teeth out well. I'd hate to see how harsh the 8th level is! I'm curious about the anti-bacterial solutions one can use instead of water for a good 'injection' into the gum line. Anyone try anti-bacterial stuff?

I never got the hang of using one, it was just a mess.

You have to point it at an angle along the gum line and then angle it into any dental work (like braces) that you have. Never point it straight at the tooth (splashback) or directly into the gum up between the tooth and gum as you could end up pushing food farther up into the gum instead of flushing the food out.

I *heart* my waterpik.

We used to have one when I was a kid, but I think I did more damage than good with it.

To get around dental work, they have floss that has a stiff plastic end so you can thread it between teeth around the dental work. If you haven't seen it or don't know about it, ask your dental hygienist. Often they can even provide ample free samples so you don't have to even buy the stuff.

Moonbear said:
To get around dental work, they have floss that has a stiff plastic end so you can thread it between teeth around the dental work. If you haven't seen it or don't know about it, ask your dental hygienist. Often they can even provide ample free samples so you don't have to even buy the stuff.
I have some crowns, that stuff doesn't work. I was getting cavities from food getting stuck where the top of the crown met the gum, the original tooth is still there, the water pik is the only thing that can get it all out.

Just open your mouth in the shower.

1. Is using a Waterpik better than flossing?

It is not necessarily better, but it can be a helpful addition to your oral hygiene routine. Waterpiks use a stream of water to remove plaque and food particles from between your teeth, while flossing physically removes these substances. Both methods are effective, but using a Waterpik can be less time consuming and more comfortable for those with sensitive gums.

2. Can a Waterpik replace brushing my teeth?

No, a Waterpik cannot replace brushing your teeth. Brushing your teeth is still the most important and effective way to remove plaque and prevent cavities. Waterpiks are meant to be used in conjunction with brushing and flossing for optimal oral health.

3. Is a Waterpik safe for everyone to use?

In most cases, a Waterpik is safe for everyone to use. However, it is always best to consult with your dentist before using one if you have any existing dental conditions or are undergoing certain dental treatments. Additionally, children should always be supervised while using a Waterpik to ensure they are using it properly.

4. Can a Waterpik damage my teeth or gums?

When used correctly, a Waterpik should not cause any damage to your teeth or gums. However, if the water pressure is set too high or if the tip is held too close to your teeth or gums, it can cause irritation or even damage. It is important to follow the instructions and start with a lower pressure setting, gradually increasing if needed.

5. How often should I use a Waterpik?

The frequency of using a Waterpik depends on your individual oral hygiene needs. Some people may benefit from using it once a day, while others may use it more frequently. It is recommended to consult with your dentist to determine the best frequency for your specific needs.