Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waterpik good for your teeth

1. Jul 27, 2008 #1
    http://www.waterpik.com/oral-health-products/ (press start movie in the corner of the picture of the kid with the goofy smile)

http://www.waterpik.com/oral-health/clinically-proven.html

Does anyone have one of these? They're supposed to be really good for your teeth (and from those studies it sounds like a much better alternative to flossing). Since I have braces I don't floss, but I think I might get one of these.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Waterpik

My dental hygienist, and the one I had before this one, both say flossing's better. Do yourself a favor - floss daily, at a minimum!

My floss: unwaxed, plain. I really don't like the teflon stuff.

4. Jul 27, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have a Waterpik, and after I thoroughly floss, the water pick blows out the food the flossing missed.

If you have any dental work, flossing will not be able to get the food, only the jets of water can blow it out of those tiny crevices.

5. Jul 27, 2008 #4

~christina~

Gold Member

That thing is so painful and I broke it...:redface: This is how I look trying to use that thing the last time it was working :yuck:

I was trying to remove the tip from the base to change it (to a clear one) and it fell off the table and proceeded bo break at the bottom of the tip. (close to the base) I couldn't even remove the broken tip with a plier!

A second point is that I can't even control where it goes. The water pushes against my teeth and It goes backwards. Then, the water flies everywhere! I don't know how people use this..on youtube they wouldn't post someone actually using their product, I wonder why?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  6. Jul 28, 2008 #5

I went out and bought one! I got the Ultra, and when I used it i was surprised with the results. I had it only on the second level and it cleared my teeth out well. I'd hate to see how harsh the 8th level is! I'm curious about the anti-bacterial solutions one can use instead of water for a good 'injection' into the gum line. Anyone try anti-bacterial stuff?

7. Jul 28, 2008 #6

I never got the hang of using one, it was just a mess.

8. Jul 28, 2008 #7

Evo

You have to point it at an angle along the gum line and then angle it into any dental work (like braces) that you have. Never point it straight at the tooth (splashback) or directly into the gum up between the tooth and gum as you could end up pushing food farther up into the gum instead of flushing the food out.

I *heart* my waterpik.

9. Jul 28, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We used to have one when I was a kid, but I think I did more damage than good with it.

To get around dental work, they have floss that has a stiff plastic end so you can thread it between teeth around the dental work. If you haven't seen it or don't know about it, ask your dental hygienist. Often they can even provide ample free samples so you don't have to even buy the stuff.

10. Jul 28, 2008 #9

Evo

I have some crowns, that stuff doesn't work. I was getting cavities from food getting stuck where the top of the crown met the gum, the original tooth is still there, the water pik is the only thing that can get it all out.

11. Jul 28, 2008 #10

Just open your mouth in the shower.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?