Is Human Activity the Sole Cause of Climate Change?

• Thread starter MrGamma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Co2
In summary, there is no clear consensus on whether human activity is the primary cause of climate change.
MrGamma
I am currently under the impression that the Oceans act like a big sponge. They absorb CO2. However when the temperature rises it releases that CO2.

Most reports give a rise of about 1 degree over the last half century.

I am also aware that the ocean floor is littered with volcanoes, sea mounts, and is encircled by a huge rift which goes right up the Atlantic across the Pacific and around Antarctica.

I am aware of no such force on the Earth caused by man which could generate so much heat.

How do people know global warming isn't a natural consequence of the environment changing rather than human influence?

Specifically... This page says 31,000 scientists claim humans are not responsible for global warming.

http://nov55.com/gbwm.html

The petition.

http://www.oism.org/pproject/

My question is... Has anyone proven this beyond a shadow of a doubt that humans are indeed solely responsible for causing the climate change? If so... What percentage is a result of man, and what percentage is a result of natural climate change?

Physics news on Phys.org
MrGamma said:
My question is... Has anyone proven this beyond a shadow of a doubt that humans are indeed solely responsible for causing the climate change? If so... What percentage is a result of man, and what percentage is a result of natural climate change?

Science does not prove things of this kind beyond a shadow of doubt.

And anyway,humans are not solely responsible for climate change; climate depends on a range of factors, some of which are not associated with human activity. Good examples of non-human factors that impact on climate are large volcanoes, or decadal changes in things like the ENSO cycles.

However, it is now established beyond reasonable doubt that:
  • The largest factor leading to a trends in a changing over recent decades is a strong increase in the greenhouse effect.
  • The major factor by far for change in the greenhouse effect are changes in atmospheric composition driven by human activities.

This does not mean all the questions are solved, by any means. But it is a strong conclusion that human factors are the major cause for the trend of an increasing global mean temperature, and associated consequences.

Cheers -- sylas

Is there is a peer review paper which supports this? I am interested in learning more as I currently understand there are 31,000 scientists which feel it is not correct.

Specifically, I am wondering if they've done things like link nuclear fallout to a increase or "ramp" in the greenhouse effect. Or if anyone has reproduced the greenhouse effect in a laboratory.

Something more than a casual link but hard evidence which shows a direct correlation.

I would also be very interested in learning if there is a petition from scientists who support global warming and are in direct opposition to the 31,000 petition signers who oppose it.

Honestly, I mainly come across claims on the internet which refuse to reference proper sources, and the claims are very often strong enough that it worries me that perhaps people are not looking for the truth, and physically researching it but rather "believing" in a popular belief. However very often I come across studies which oppose the concept. It seems to be easier to find information on anti-global warming information rather than pro-global warming information. At least from seemingly credible and researched sources.

Last edited:
MrGamma said:
Is there is a peer review paper which supports this? I am interested in learning more as I currently understand there are 32,000 scientists which feel it is not correct.

Specifically, I am wondering if they've done things like link nuclear fallout to a increase or "ramp" in the greenhouse effect. Or if anyone has reproduced the greenhouse effect in a laboratory.

Something more than a casual link but hard evidence which shows a direct correlation.

I would also be very interested in learning if there is a petition from scientists who support global warming and are in direct opposition to the 32,000 petition signers who oppose it.

32,000 climate scientists?

Who funded the study? (I bet you 100 bucks it was an institute funded by an oil company)

1. How does water retain CO2?

Water has a unique molecular structure that allows it to form hydrogen bonds with CO2 molecules. This means that CO2 can dissolve in water and be held within its structure.

2. Why is water's ability to retain CO2 important?

Water's ability to retain CO2 is important for regulating the Earth's climate. The ocean is a major sink for atmospheric CO2, which helps to reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere and mitigate the effects of climate change.

3. How does water's temperature affect its ability to retain CO2?

Colder water can hold more CO2 than warmer water. This is why oceans at higher latitudes tend to have higher levels of dissolved CO2. As water warms, it releases more CO2 into the atmosphere, contributing to the greenhouse effect.

4. Can water's ability to retain CO2 change?

Yes, water's ability to retain CO2 can change depending on various factors such as temperature, pressure, and salinity. Changes in ocean circulation patterns and human activities can also affect the amount of CO2 that water can hold.

5. How does the pH of water affect its ability to retain CO2?

Water with a lower pH (more acidic) can hold more CO2 than water with a higher pH (more basic). This is because CO2 reacts with water to form carbonic acid, which increases the acidity of the water. Changes in ocean pH due to increasing levels of atmospheric CO2 can impact the ocean's ability to retain CO2.