1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Watts are associated with heat?

1. Dec 6, 2014 #1
    A guy told me that a watt is not associated with heat. Then I read that a watt can be defined as 1 J/s of heat flow. Wouldn't that mean a watt is IS associated with heat?

I think the guy was trying to say that a watt is associated with multiple forms of energy, not heat, specifically. I'm confused by the definition I read..

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Energy is energy is energy, be it heat, chemical energy, mechanical energy, electrical energy, potential energy, or whatever. Power is energy per unit time, period, end of sentence.

4. Dec 6, 2014 #3
    Thank you. Any idea why a website would write that a watt can be defined as 1 J/s of heat flow?

5. Dec 6, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That is the SI unit of power.

6. Dec 6, 2014 #5
    Thanks again. :)

7. Dec 6, 2014 #6
    Wait, so a watt is the SI unit of power? I'm confused again. So, a watt is associated with heat?

Sorry, for wasting your time with my questions..

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  8. Dec 6, 2014 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Heat is energy by another name, yes, and heat per unit time is still power. Think of the "burner" on an electric stove --- it's rated in watts, right? This many watts of electric power is converted to the same wattage of heat power for cooking. Or, incandescent bulbs ---- x watts of electric power turns into y watts of "waste" heat (unless you're hatching chickens, and that's the use you make of the bulbs) plus z watts of visible light energy per second.
    And, you're not wasting anyone's time if you're clarifying definitions for yourself.

9. Dec 6, 2014 #8
    Thank you. :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  10. Dec 7, 2014 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook