Wave Equation and Energy Conservation for a Stretched String

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the ends of a stretched string are fixed, with a particle of mass M attached at point p. The conditions for the transverse displacement y at x=0, x=p, and x=L are y(0,t) = y(L,t) = 0 and y(p,t) = f(t). The energy of the system is given by E(t) = (1/2) \int_0^\L (T[yx(x,t)]2 + \rho[yt(x,t)]2) dx + (1/2)M[yt(p,t)]2, and using the wave equation and boundary conditions, it can be deduced that dE/dt = 0, resulting in constant
Kate2010

Homework Statement

The ends (x=0,x=L) of a stretched string are fixed, the string is loaded by a particle with mas M at the point p (0<p<L).

1. What are the conditions that the transverse displacement y must satisfy at x=0, x=p and x=L?
2. Show that the energy of the system is E(t) = (1/2) [tex]\int_0^\L [/tex](T[yx(x,t)]2 + [tex]\rho[/tex][yt(x,t)]2) dx + (1/2)M[yt(p,t)]2
3. Deduce, using the wave equation and the boundary conditions, that dE/dt = 0 so the energy is constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I think y(0,t) = y(L,t) = 0 and y(p,t) = f(t) but I'm not too sure.

2. I think I have done this by considering the energy of the string and that of the mass separately.

3. This is where I'm really struggling. If I have the correct boundary conditions for x=0 and x=L we have worked through an example in lectures where the integral comes out to be 0 using Leibniz. However, a hint to answering this question is to break the integral into two, integrating between 0 and p, then p and L, so I think it can't be 0 as we must need a term to cancel out with the final term of the energy when differentiated. So, I think my boundary conditions may be incorrect.

Also, I think I have got a bit confused about partial differentiation. When I differentiate (1/2)M[yt(p,t)]2 do I get Myt(p,t)ytt(p,t)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kate2010 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I think y(0,t) = y(L,t) = 0 and y(p,t) = f(t) but I'm not too sure.
What's f(t)?

I think when you hang a mass on the string at x=p, you get a kink in the string or something like that. Try figuring out some condition describing a discontinuity in [itex]\partial y/\partial x[/itex] at x=p.

Kate2010 said:
Also, I think I have got a bit confused about partial differentiation. When I differentiate (1/2)M[yt(p,t)]2 do I get Myt(p,t)ytt(p,t)?
Yup!

I just meant to mean f(t) to be some function that depended only on time as I couldn't think of anything more specific than that. However, I will have another think tomorrow about how I could use the boundary condition to describe a discontinuity in the string.

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior and motion of waves. It relates the speed and frequency of a wave to its wavelength and amplitude.

2. How is energy related to the wave equation?

The wave equation includes a term for energy, which is directly proportional to the square of the wave's amplitude. This means that as the amplitude of a wave increases, so does its energy.

3. Can the wave equation be used for all types of waves?

Yes, the wave equation can be used to describe all types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and electromagnetic waves. It is a universal equation that applies to all wave phenomena.

4. How is the wave equation derived?

The wave equation is derived from the laws of motion and electromagnetism. It is a result of combining these principles to describe the behavior of waves in a medium.

5. What are the practical applications of the wave equation?

The wave equation has many practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and geology. It is used to study and analyze wave behavior, design structures to withstand wave forces, and predict the behavior of natural phenomena like earthquakes and ocean waves.