1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Wave equation and energy

1. Feb 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The ends (x=0,x=L) of a stretched string are fixed, the string is loaded by a particle with mas M at the point p (0<p<L).

1. What are the conditions that the transverse displacement y must satisfy at x=0, x=p and x=L?
    2. Show that the energy of the system is E(t) = (1/2) [tex]\int_0^\L [/tex](T[yx(x,t)]2 + [tex]\rho[/tex][yt(x,t)]2) dx + (1/2)M[yt(p,t)]2
    3. Deduce, using the wave equation and the boundary conditions, that dE/dt = 0 so the energy is constant.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I think y(0,t) = y(L,t) = 0 and y(p,t) = f(t) but I'm not too sure.

2. I think I have done this by considering the energy of the string and that of the mass separately.

3. This is where I'm really struggling. If I have the correct boundary conditions for x=0 and x=L we have worked through an example in lectures where the integral comes out to be 0 using Leibniz. However, a hint to answering this question is to break the integral into two, integrating between 0 and p, then p and L, so I think it can't be 0 as we must need a term to cancel out with the final term of the energy when differentiated. So, I think my boundary conditions may be incorrect.

Also, I think I have got a bit confused about partial differentiation. When I differentiate (1/2)M[yt(p,t)]2 do I get Myt(p,t)ytt(p,t)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What's f(t)?

I think when you hang a mass on the string at x=p, you get a kink in the string or something like that. Try figuring out some condition describing a discontinuity in [itex]\partial y/\partial x[/itex] at x=p.

4. Feb 17, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup!

5. Feb 17, 2010 #4
    I just meant to mean f(t) to be some function that depended only on time as I couldn't think of anything more specific than that. However, I will have another think tomorrow about how I could use the boundary condition to describe a discontinuity in the string.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook