Wave Equation: d'Alembert solution -- semi-infinite string with a fixed end

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving the wave equation and a string held at rest. The solution involves using the odd extension of the function and taking into account interference when the waves pass over each other. The need for a periodic extension depends on the boundary conditions.
Master1022
Homework Statement
At [itex] t = 0 [/itex] the string is released. Let [itex] y(t,x) = f(x - ct) + g(x - ct) [/itex]. Obtain [itex] f(u) [/itex] and [itex] g(v) [/itex] for u > 0 and v > 0 using the initial condition.
Relevant Equations
d'Alembert solution to the wave equation
Hi,

I was trying to get some practice with the wave equation and am struggling to solve the problem below. I am unsure of how to proceed in this situation.

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 11.08.35 PM.png

My attempt:
So we are told that the string is held at rest, so we only need to think about the displacement conditions for the wave equation solution. If we are using the given expression, then f will be the 'forward' (+ ve [itex] x [/itex]) traveling wave and g will be the 'backward' (-ve [itex] x [/itex]) traveling wave.

I would turn the given function [tex] H(x) =
\begin{cases}
-h(-x), & -2L \leq x \lt 0 \\
h(x), & 0 \leq x \lt 2L \\
(periodic), & otherwise
\end{cases} [/tex]
(where [itex] h(x) [/itex] is the triangular function shown - I could have explicitly written out the exact function, but just after the method for the moment)
(EDIT: was I correct to make it periodic?)
Then, we can use the solution to write: [itex] y(t,x) = \frac{1}{2} \left( H(x + ct) + H(x - ct) \right) [/itex] (replacing f and g with our defined function). Is that correct up to that point?

Some specific questions I have are:
- how do we deal with the fixed boundary condition? - I have just tried to create the odd periodic extension of the initial condition so that the zero displacement is satisfied at [itex] x = 0 [/itex]
- in general, do I start the two oppositely traveling waves from the same place on the string
- Perhaps related for the boundary condition, but how do I include the reflection that will take place? - I presume that we just allow our two waves to pass over one another so that the -ve part of the forward wave superposes with the +ve part of the backwards wave. After that, our backwards wave solution will be 'beyond the boundary' so we won't need to consider it any more?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to consider the odd extension of the function. Not the odd periodic extension. So your initial problem looks like an infinite string with initial displacement the odd reflection of the triangle and zero outside of ##[-2L,2L]## and released from rest. Solve that infinite string problem and just look at the part of the solution where ##x>0##. By the way, +ve and -ve are not words.

Likes BvU
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the help.

LCKurtz said:
You want to consider the odd extension of the function. Not the odd periodic extension.

So I can just remove the periodicity to obtain the correct form of [itex] H(x) [/itex]? Is this true for other d'Alembert solution questions as well (i.e. the fact that we only want the odd extension, but not the periodic form of it)? I ask as I seem to recall online sources frequently mentioned 'odd-periodic' extensions, but perhaps I misunderstood what they were saying?

LCKurtz said:
So your initial problem looks like an infinite string with initial displacement the odd reflection of the triangle and zero outside of ##[-2L,2L]## and released from rest. Solve that infinite string problem and just look at the part of the solution where ##x>0##.
Am I correct in thinking that there will be interference to consider in the beginning when the waves are passing over one another until they separate?

LCKurtz said:
By the way, +ve and -ve are not words.
I am aware of that. I only included them to add some directionality to my explanation.

Master1022 said:
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the help.
So I can just remove the periodicity to obtain the correct form of [itex] H(x) [/itex]? Is this true for other d'Alembert solution questions as well (i.e. the fact that we only want the odd extension, but not the periodic form of it)? I ask as I seem to recall online sources frequently mentioned 'odd-periodic' extensions, but perhaps I misunderstood what they were saying?
It depends on the boundary conditions. For a string with fixed ends, you might want a periodic extension. The idea is if you have an infinite string where a point never moves, that is indistinguishable from the string being tied down at that point.
Am I correct in thinking that there will be interference to consider in the beginning when the waves are passing over one another until they separate?
Yes. It is that interference that gives what looks like a reflection. I have a couple of .gifs below to help you see. I have a string that starts as one arch of a translated sine wave and its odd reflection. The first .gif below shows its motion:

wave1.gif

You can see the interference where they meet. The .gif below just shows the plot for ##x\ge 0## and you can see how the interference really makes it look like a reflection:
wave2.gif

Likes BvU and Master1022
Many thanks for your quick reply.

LCKurtz said:
It depends on the boundary conditions. For a string with fixed ends, you might want a periodic extension. The idea is if you have an infinite string where a point never moves, that is indistinguishable from the string being tied down at that point.

This makes more sense now, thanks for clearing that up. Also, thanks for including the animations.

1. What is the wave equation and how does it apply to a semi-infinite string with a fixed end?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the propagation of waves in a medium. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model the behavior of waves. In the case of a semi-infinite string with a fixed end, the wave equation can be applied to determine the displacement of the string at any given point in time.

2. How is the d'Alembert solution used to solve the wave equation for a semi-infinite string with a fixed end?

The d'Alembert solution is a mathematical technique used to solve the wave equation. It involves breaking down the problem into two parts: the initial conditions (the initial displacement and velocity of the string) and the boundary conditions (the fixed end of the string). By solving these two parts separately and combining them, the d'Alembert solution provides a complete solution to the wave equation for a semi-infinite string with a fixed end.

3. Can the d'Alembert solution be used for other types of boundary conditions?

Yes, the d'Alembert solution can be used for a variety of boundary conditions, including fixed, free, and mixed ends. It can also be applied to other types of wave equations, such as those for electromagnetic or acoustic waves.

4. What are the limitations of the d'Alembert solution for a semi-infinite string with a fixed end?

The d'Alembert solution assumes that the string is perfectly elastic and that there is no damping or energy loss. It also assumes that the string is infinitely thin and has a constant tension. In reality, these assumptions may not hold true, and the d'Alembert solution may not accurately model the behavior of the string in certain situations.

5. How is the d'Alembert solution used in practical applications?

The d'Alembert solution has many practical applications, particularly in the fields of engineering and physics. It is commonly used to model the behavior of strings, such as guitar strings or power lines, and can also be applied to other types of waves, such as seismic waves. The d'Alembert solution can help engineers and scientists understand and predict the behavior of waves in various systems, allowing for the design and optimization of structures and devices.