Solve Wave Equation Problem: f(\alpha x + \beta y + \gamma z \mp vt)

In summary: The wave would be ellipsoidal, as the equation \alpha ^2 + \beta ^2 + \gamma ^2 = 1 is a mathematical statement of an ellipse.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that the function [tex]u(x,y,z,t)=f(\alpha x + \beta y + \gamma z \mp vt)[/tex] where [tex]\alpha ^2 + \beta ^2 + \gamma ^2 =1[/tex] satisfies the tridimensional wave equation if one assume that f is differentiable twice.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial t ^2}-c^2 \triangle u=0[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to use the chain rule.
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}=\mp v \frac{\partial f}{\partial \sigma}[/tex] where [tex]\sigma =vt[/tex]. Thus [tex]\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial t ^2}=v^2 \left ( \frac{\partial f}{\partial \sigma} \right ) ^2[/tex].
I'm 98% sure it's not right.
Am I approaching well the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not too far off. The chain rule tells you that [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}f(q)=f'(q)\frac{\partial q}{\partial t}[/tex], so...

gabbagabbahey said:
You're not too far off. The chain rule tells you that [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}f(q)=f'(q)\frac{\partial q}{\partial t}[/tex], so...
Thank you for your help.
My confusion resides in "[tex]f'(q)[/tex]". Is it equal to [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial \sigma}[/tex] where [tex]\sigma = \mp vt[/tex] in the exercise?

Second attempt:
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=\mp v u '[/tex]; [tex]\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial t^2}=v^2 u'[/tex].
[tex]\nabla u = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \hat i + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} \hat j + \frac{\partial u}{\partial z} \hat k = u'(\alpha \hat i + \beta \hat j + \gamma \hat k)[/tex] thus [tex]\triangle u = u''(\alpha ^2 + \beta ^2 + \gamma ^2)=u''[/tex].
Using the wave equation, it follows that the wave equation holds if and only if [tex]v^2=c^2[/tex] so [tex]v=\pm c[/tex].
Does this mean that the speed of the wave given is the one of the light? What kind of wave is that? Ellipsoidal or so?
Also, I didn't understand what I've done to reach this result. Each time I wrote u'. To me the u' appearing in [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/tex] is different from the one appearing in [tex]\nabla u[/tex].
There is more than 1 variable, so writing u' is confusing to me.

fluidistic said:
Thank you for your help.
My confusion resides in "[tex]f'(q)[/tex]". Is it equal to [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial \sigma}[/tex] where [tex]\sigma = \mp vt[/tex] in the exercise?

No, the argument of [itex]u[/itex] is [itex]\alpha x+\beta y+\gamma z \mp vt[/itex], so that's what you would set [itex]q[/itex] to (or [itex]\sigma[/itex] if you prefer).

fluidistic said:
Second attempt:
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=\mp v u '[/tex]; [tex]\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial t^2}=v^2 u'[/tex].
[tex]\nabla u = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \hat i + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} \hat j + \frac{\partial u}{\partial z} \hat k = u'(\alpha \hat i + \beta \hat j + \gamma \hat k)[/tex] thus [tex]\triangle u = u''(\alpha ^2 + \beta ^2 + \gamma ^2)=u''[/tex].
Using the wave equation, it follows that the wave equation holds if and only if [tex]v^2=c^2[/tex] so [tex]v=\pm c[/tex].Does this mean that the speed of the wave given is the one of the light?

The more general wave equation has [itex]c[/itex] as the speed of the wave, not necessarily the speed of light. So, I would say that [itex]u[/itex] satisfies the wave equation, with speed [itex]v[/itex].

What kind of wave is that? Ellipsoidal or so?

The shape of the wave at any given time will depend on the exact functional form of [itex]u[/itex], as well as the constants [itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex], and [itex]\gamma[/itex].

Also, I didn't understand what I've done to reach this result. Each time I wrote u'. To me the u' appearing in [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/tex] is different from the one appearing in [tex]\nabla u[/tex].
There is more than 1 variable, so writing u' is confusing to me.

[itex]u[/itex] has the same argument in both derivatives. Just name the variable [itex]q=\alpha x+\beta y+\gamma z \mp vt[/itex]

Thank you once again, it's clearer to me now. At least the argument q is much clearer and so is u'. So [tex]u'=\frac{\partial u}{\partial q}[/tex] where [tex]q=\alpha x+ \beta y + \gamma z \mp vt[/tex]. Is this right?
gabbagabbahey said:
The more general wave equation has [itex]c[/itex] as the speed of the wave, not necessarily the speed of light. So, I would say that [itex]u[/itex] satisfies the wave equation, with speed [itex]v[/itex].
Ok but I found out that [tex]v=\pm c[/tex]. So if v is the speed of the wave, then it's equal to c, which is the speed of light or I'm missing your point?

The shape of the wave at any given time will depend on the exact functional form of [itex]u[/itex], as well as the constants [itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex], and [itex]\gamma[/itex].
Ah I see. Say if u is the identity and [tex]\alpha = \beta = \gamma[/tex] then it's a spherical wave?
And in the hypothetical case of u is worth the identity and [tex]\alpha ^2 + \beta ^2 + \gamma ^2 = 1[/tex] such that [tex]\alpha \neq \beta \neq \gamma[/tex], would the wave be ellipsoidal?

fluidistic said:
Thank you once again, it's clearer to me now. At least the argument q is much clearer and so is u'. So [tex]u'=\frac{\partial u}{\partial q}[/tex] where [tex]q=\alpha x+ \beta y + \gamma z \mp vt[/tex]. Is this right?

Yup:smile:

Ok but I found out that [tex]v=\pm c[/tex]. So if v is the speed of the wave, then it's equal to c, which is the speed of light or I'm missing your point?

You're missing the point; the [itex]c[/itex] in your wave equation isn't necessarily the speed of light, just the speed of the wave. For electromagnetic waves, in vacuum, [itex]c[/itex] will be the speed of light.

Ah I see. Say if u is the identity and [tex]\alpha = \beta = \gamma[/tex] then it's a spherical wave?
And in the hypothetical case of u is worth the identity and [tex]\alpha ^2 + \beta ^2 + \gamma ^2 = 1[/tex] such that [tex]\alpha \neq \beta \neq \gamma[/tex], would the wave be ellipsoidal?

Not really. For a spherical wave, you would expect a solution of the form [itex]u=\frac{1}{r}g(r-vt)[/itex].

gabbagabbahey said:
You're missing the point; the [itex]c[/itex] in your wave equation isn't necessarily the speed of light, just the speed of the wave. For electromagnetic waves, in vacuum, [itex]c[/itex] will be the speed of light.
Ah I get it now! Ok.

Not really. For a spherical wave, you would expect a solution of the form [itex]u=\frac{1}{r}g(r-vt)[/itex].
Ah you're right, it must decay as 1/r to be a spherical wave. Not sure what happens if it decays as 1/r^2 but I get the point. Thanks for all.
Problem solved.

Related to Solve Wave Equation Problem: f(\alpha x + \beta y + \gamma z \mp vt)

1. What is the wave equation and why is it important in science?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves. It is important in science because it is used to model various physical phenomena, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves. It allows scientists to make predictions and understand the properties of these waves.

2. How is the wave equation solved?

The wave equation is solved by using various techniques, such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and Laplace transforms. These methods involve breaking down the equation into smaller, more manageable parts and solving them individually. The solutions are then combined to obtain the overall solution.

3. What is the significance of the parameters in the wave equation?

The parameters in the wave equation represent different physical quantities. The variable x, y, and z represent spatial coordinates, while t represents time. The parameter v represents the velocity of the wave, and \alpha, \beta, and \gamma are constants that determine the direction and shape of the wave.

4. How does the wave equation relate to real-life situations?

The wave equation can be applied to various real-life situations, such as predicting the behavior of sound waves in a concert hall, determining the strength of an earthquake, or understanding the behavior of light waves in optical fibers. It is also used in engineering and technology to design and optimize systems that involve waves, such as antennas and acoustic devices.

5. Are there any limitations to the wave equation?

While the wave equation is a powerful tool in understanding and predicting wave behavior, it does have some limitations. It assumes ideal conditions, such as a uniform medium and no external forces acting on the wave. In reality, waves encounter various obstacles and disturbances that can affect their behavior. Therefore, the wave equation is most accurate in simplified scenarios and may require additional modifications to accurately model complex situations.