Wave equation, taut string hit with hammer

It might help if you made the substitution$$u = \frac{n\pi(L+a)}{2L}$$in the first term and$$u = \frac{n\pi(L-a)}{2L}$$in the second term.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

A string of length L is fixed at both ends ##u(0,L)=u(L,t)=0## The string is struck in the middle with a hammer of width a, leading to an intial condtion ##u(x,0)=0## and

$$U_t(x,0)=v_0 $$ for $$\frac{l}{2}-\frac{a}{2} \leq x \leq \frac{l}{2}+\frac{a}{2} $$

and

$$U_t(x,0)=0 $$ other wise

I have printed screen in the question Just encase it make no sense what I have wirtten

upload_2017-12-10_16-21-12.png

I am not going to put full working, I am having trouble with one particular part the intial condtions for my Fourier series.

Homework Equations

$$U_t(x,0)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(-\frac{n\pi c}{L}\right)B_n sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)$$ [1]

$$\left(-\frac{n\pi c}{L}\right)B_n=\frac{2}{l}\int _0^lv_0sin\left(\frac{n\pi }{L}x\right)dx\:$$ [2]

$$B_n=-\frac{2v_0}{-n\pi c}\int _{\left(\frac{L}{2}-\frac{a}{2}\right)}^{\frac{L}{2}+\frac{a}{2}}sin\left(\frac{n\pi }{L}x\right)dx\:$$ [3]

The Attempt at a Solution

[3] soultuion
$$B_n=\frac{2Lv_0}{n^2\pi ^2c}\left(cos\left(\frac{n\pi }{2}\left(\frac{L+a}{L}\right)-cos\left(\frac{n\pi }{2}\left(\frac{L-a}{L}\right)\right)\right)\right)$$

I believe I have gone wrong with the limits and my problem lies in how the size of the hammer is effecting the wave in this case, could someone please advise, thanks in advace

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-10_16-21-12.png
    upload_2017-12-10_16-21-12.png
    27 KB · Views: 1,153
Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:

Homework Statement

A string of length L is fixed at both ends ##u(0,L)=u(L,t)=0## The string is struck in the middle with a hammer of width a, leading to an intial condtion ##u(x,0)=0## and

$$U_t(x,0)=v_0 $$ for $$\frac{l}{2}-\frac{a}{2} \leq x \leq \frac{l}{2}+\frac{a}{2} $$

and

$$U_t(x,0)=0 $$ other wise

I have printed screen in the question Just encase it make no sense what I have wirtten

View attachment 216437

I am not going to put full working, I am having trouble with one particular part the intial condtions for my Fourier series.

Homework Equations

$$U_t(x,0)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(-\frac{n\pi c}{L}\right)B_n sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)$$ [1]

$$\left(-\frac{n\pi c}{L}\right)B_n=\frac{2}{l}\int _0^lv_0sin\left(\frac{n\pi }{L}x\right)dx\:$$ [2]

$$B_n=-\frac{2v_0}{-n\pi c}\int _{\left(\frac{L}{2}-\frac{a}{2}\right)}^{\frac{L}{2}+\frac{a}{2}}sin\left(\frac{n\pi }{L}x\right)dx\:$$ [3]

[3] soultuion
$$B_n=\frac{2Lv_0}{n^2\pi ^2c}\left(cos\left(\frac{n\pi }{2}\left(\frac{L+a}{L}\right)-cos\left(\frac{n\pi }{2}\left(\frac{L-a}{L}\right)\right)\right)\right)$$

I believe I have gone wrong with the limits and my problem lies in how the size of the hammer is effecting the wave in this case, could someone please advise, thanks in advace

The wave equation has a speed parameter "##v##" in it; why does your solution have no ##v## anywhere? Is your ##c## perhaps equal to the ##v## in the question?

Sorry yes my c=v my appolgise. I have also just had a throught could I use the indenties for cos(a+b) and cos(a-b) to solve this problem

Last edited:
Taylor_1989 said:

Homework Equations

I agree up to here except I don't have a minus sign. But that shouldn't affect the final answer.

$$\left(-\frac{n\pi c}{L}\right)B_n=\frac{2}{l}\int _0^l v_0 \sin\left(\frac{n\pi }{L}x\right)dx$$
That isn't quite right. Apparently the ##l## should be ##L##, but the function isn't ##v_0## on that interval. So it is better written$$
\left(-\frac{n\pi c}{L}\right)B_n=\frac{2}{L}\int _0^L u_t(x,0) \sin\left(\frac{n\pi }{L}x\right)dx$$ $$
\left(-\frac{n\pi c}{L}\right)B_n=\frac{2}{L}\int _{\frac L 2 - \frac a 2}
^{\frac L 2 + \frac a 2 }v_0 \sin\left(\frac{n\pi }{L}x\right)dx$$

[3] soultuion

I didn't check your final answer but I don't see any obvious major errors.

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves. It is used to model various types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and water waves.

2. How does the wave equation apply to a taut string hit with a hammer?

When a taut string is hit with a hammer, it creates a disturbance in the form of a wave that travels along the string. The wave equation can be used to predict the shape and behavior of this wave.

3. What factors affect the behavior of the wave on the taut string?

The behavior of the wave on a taut string is affected by several factors, including the tension of the string, the mass of the string, and the length of the string. These factors can change the speed and amplitude of the wave.

4. How is the wave equation derived?

The wave equation is derived using principles from physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and Hooke's law. It is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the relationship between the displacement of the wave and the forces acting on it.

5. What are some real-life applications of the wave equation?

The wave equation has many practical applications, including predicting the behavior of sound waves in musical instruments, analyzing the movement of ocean waves, and understanding the propagation of seismic waves in earthquakes.