Wave, given wavespeed, wavelength, amplitude - find w.

In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of what occurs when x=0 and the sine function is applied. It concludes that the answer is not always 0, as initially thought, and that calculating frequency may be a more accurate approach.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
y(x, t) = Asin(kx-wt)
What I chose to do was analyze what happened at x=0. At x=0 I know sin of whatever will be 0.

So 0=sin(kx-wt) and since x=0, w=Arcsin(0)/t. But this doesn't make sense because the answer isn't 0, its 0.695.

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    11.3 KB · Views: 73
Physics news on Phys.org
JoeyBob said:
At x=0 I know sin of whatever will be 0.
You do? Why?

haruspex said:
You do? Why?

Because 0=sin(-wt), so sin of whatever would be 0.

I suppose I could calculate frequency to find w, but idk why this method doesn't work too.

JoeyBob said:
Because 0=sin(-wt)
But that is what I am questioning. Why do you say 0=sin(-wt)? That will only be true at certain times.

Likes JoeyBob
haruspex said:
But that is what I am questioning. Why do you say 0=sin(-wt)? That will only be true at certain times.
Makes sense, thanks.

1. What is the formula for finding wavelength given wavespeed and frequency?

The formula for finding wavelength (λ) is: λ = wavespeed (v) / frequency (f).

2. Can you explain the concept of wavespeed?

Wavespeed is the speed at which a wave travels through a medium. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) and is dependent on the properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity.

3. How does amplitude affect a wave?

Amplitude is the maximum displacement of a wave from its equilibrium position. It affects the intensity or loudness of a wave, with higher amplitudes producing louder sounds or more intense waves.

4. Can you find the wavelength of a wave if only the amplitude is known?

No, the wavelength cannot be determined solely from the amplitude. Wavelength is dependent on both the wavespeed and frequency, so at least one of those values must also be known.

5. How can I use the wavelength formula to solve real-world problems?

The wavelength formula can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and telecommunications to calculate the distance between two points, determine the frequency of a wave, or design systems that utilize waves such as radio or sound systems.