Wave Period Calculation: Is 0.1 the Correct Answer for Frequency of 1/10?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
bobacity
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
A wave has amplitude of 6.0 cm and a frequency of 10 Hz, and the distance from a crest to the nearest trough (measured along the direction of the wave’s energy transfer) is measured to be 4.0 cm. Determine the period of such a wave.
A: 60s
B: 1.5s
C: 0.4s
D: 0.1s
E: 4s
Relevant Equations
T (period) = 1/ frequency
I think the answer is just 1/10 (according to the formula for period), so the answer is 0.1. Is that correct?
Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kuruman said:
That is correct. However, I am perplexed that you cannot be confident that 1/10 = 0.1.
I do not think that is the part where OP was uncertain...
 
The question offers you more information than needed. You correctly chose the relevant datum.
 
Thanks everyone! I was just unsure whether I needed all the extra info or not.