Wave question - stretched string

In summary, the problem involves a stretched string with length L and displacement from equilibrium at t=0 given by y(x,0) = sin(3(pi)x/L). The velocity of the string is given by y'(x,0) = (3pi/L)sqrt(T/rho)sin(3(pi)x/L), where T is the tension in the string and rho is its mass per unit length. The wave velocity of transverse waves on the string is sqrt(T/rho). The general solution for the displacement is y= sin(kx)[A sin(wt) +B cos(wt)] or y= sin(kx)sin(wt+p), where k is the wave number and w is the angular frequency.
tigger88

Homework Statement

A stretched string has length L and is attaached to a rigid support at either end. The string displacement from equilibrium at t=0 is given by:
y(x,0) = sin(3(pi)x/L)

and the velocity of the string is:

y'(x,0) = (3pi/L)sqrt(T/rho)sin(3(pi)x/L)
where T = tension in the string, and rho = its mass per unit length
and sqrt(T/rho) is the wave velocity of transverse waves on the string.

Give the form of the displacement y for all x, t.

Homework Equations

(This is kind of where I'm stuck). I assumed the general equation of a wave was y = sin(kx)cos(wt), but that didn't work.
I then tried with y = sin(kx-wt), but that also didn't seem to work.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the general equation for a wave, differentiate it wrt t, plug in t=0 and compare it to the given velocity equation, but whenever I try I end up with a cos term instead of sine. I really can't figure out how it's a sine term in both the displacement and velocity.

If I used y = sin(kx)sin(wt), then at t=0, y=0.
And if I used y = sin(kx)cos(wt), then dy/dt = -wsin(kx)sin(wt), and at t=0, dy/dt = 0.
If I used y = sin(kx-wt), then dy/dt = wcos(kx-wt), which doesn't have the necessary sine term.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should take as your general solutions both sine an cosine terms:
y= sin(kx)[A sin(wt) +B cos(wt)] terms. Or equivalently work with a phase shift sin(kx)sin(wt+p).

Related to Wave question - stretched string

1. What is a stretched string wave?

A stretched string wave is a type of mechanical wave that travels through a medium, such as a string, when it is pulled or stretched and then released. The wave is created by the vibration of particles in the string and is characterized by crests and troughs that move along the string.

2. How does the tension of a string affect the speed of a wave?

The tension of a string directly affects the speed of a wave traveling through it. As the tension increases, the speed of the wave also increases. This is because a higher tension results in a higher restoring force, allowing the wave to travel faster.

3. What is the relationship between the wavelength and frequency of a stretched string wave?

The wavelength and frequency of a stretched string wave are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. The wavelength is the distance between two consecutive crests or troughs, while the frequency is the number of waves passing through a point in one second.

4. How do you calculate the speed of a stretched string wave?

The speed of a stretched string wave can be calculated using the equation v = √(T/μ), where v is the speed, T is the tension in the string, and μ is the linear mass density of the string. The linear mass density can be calculated by dividing the mass of the string by its length.

5. What factors can affect the amplitude of a stretched string wave?

The amplitude of a stretched string wave can be affected by several factors, including the initial disturbance, the tension of the string, and the distance traveled by the wave. A larger initial disturbance or a higher tension will result in a larger amplitude, while a longer distance traveled will cause the amplitude to decrease due to energy loss. Additionally, the frequency and wavelength of the wave can also affect its amplitude.