Wavepacket Problem: Writing |psi(x,t)|^2

• Thread starter trash057
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavepacket
In summary, a wavepacket can be expressed as a linear combination of eigenstates, and assuming that only two eigenstates contribute, the expression for |psi(x,t)|^2 is given by |a_0 \psi_0|^2 + |a_1 \psi_1|^2 + a_0a^{*}_1\psi_0\psi^{*}_1 + a_1a^{*}_0\psi_1\psi^{*}_0. The normalisation constants of the first two terms will be real, and can be simplified by writing them as complex exponentials.
trash057

Homework Statement

A wavepacket, psi(x,t), can be expressed as a linear combination of eigenstates. Assuming that only 2 eigenstates, phi0(x) and phi1(x), contribute to the linear combination write down the expression for |psi(x,t)|^2.

Homework Equations

[Boltzmann's constant = 1.38 x10^23 J /K, Planck's constant h = 6.626 x10 ^-34 J s,
Gas constant R = 8.314 J K /mol]

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help with how to start solving this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just an educated guess, but I'd say something like:
[tex] \psi = a_0 \psi_0 + a_1 \psi_1 [/tex]
So:
[tex] \int \psi \psi^{*} d^3r = \int (a_0 \psi_0 + a_1 \psi_1)(a^{*}_0 \psi^{*}_0 + a^{*}_1 \psi^{*}_1) d^3r [/tex]
Now all you need to do is expand the RHS and see what you get (the integral is over all space, so what does that tell you about what the integral must equal?). If I were you I would also assume that the orginal wavefunctions (psi0 and psi1) are normalised, and that the constants a0 and a1 have no imaginary component.

That's what I would do for this question anyway, but I'm definitely no expert on the subject. lol.

ppyadof said:
This is just an educated guess, but I'd say something like:
[tex] \psi = a_0 \psi_0 + a_1 \psi_1 [/tex]
So:
[tex] \int \psi \psi^{*} d^3r = \int (a_0 \psi_0 + a_1 \psi_1)(a^{*}_0 \psi^{*}_0 + a^{*}_1 \psi^{*}_1) d^3r [/tex]
Now all you need to do is expand the RHS and see what you get (the integral is over all space, so what does that tell you about what the integral must equal?).

The integral must equal 1. But do I need to expand the RHS? It just says to write the expression not to evaluate the expression.

trash057 said:
The integral must equal 1. But do I need to expand the RHS? It just says to write the expression not to evaluate the expression.

oh yeah, my bad.

Hey, no problem. Thanks for your help. I'm not sure how to expand this. I can handle numbers but when symbols are used, I start to have trouble. I'm guessing there will be four results, two zeroes and two ones. The ones being psi1 x psi1*, and psi0 x psi0*, but I'm not sure how to expand this and get those results.

Unless I made a mistake, you should end up with something like:
[tex] |\psi|^2 = |a_0 \psi_0|^2 + |a_1 \psi_1|^2 + a_0a^{*}_1\psi_0\psi^{*}_1 + a_1a^{*}_0\psi_1\psi^{*}_0 [/tex]

Obviously the normalisation constants of the first two terms of that expression are going to be real. You can prove that by writing the normalisation constants as a complex exponential [itex] a_0 = r_0e^{i\theta_0} [/itex]. If you do that with a1 aswell, then you could simplify the other terms involving a1*a0 and a0*a1.

What is the wavepacket problem and why is it important?

The wavepacket problem is a concept in quantum mechanics that involves determining the time evolution of a wavepacket, which is a group of waves that are localized in space and have a specific shape. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of matter at the subatomic level and has many practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies.

How is the wavepacket problem solved?

The wavepacket problem is typically solved using Schrödinger's equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. This equation takes into account factors such as the potential energy of the system and the initial conditions of the wavepacket, and can be solved using mathematical techniques such as Fourier transforms and numerical simulations.

What does the term |psi(x,t)|^2 represent in the wavepacket problem?

The term |psi(x,t)|^2 represents the probability density of finding a particle at a given position (x) and time (t) within the wavepacket. It is derived from the wavefunction (ψ), which describes the quantum state of a particle, and is used to calculate the likelihood of the particle being in a particular location within the wavepacket.

What factors can affect the shape of a wavepacket?

The shape of a wavepacket can be affected by various factors, including the initial conditions of the wavepacket, the potential energy of the system, and the interactions between particles within the system. Additionally, external forces such as electric or magnetic fields can also influence the shape of a wavepacket.

What are some real-world applications of the wavepacket problem?

The wavepacket problem has many practical applications, such as in the development of quantum technologies like quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It is also used in fields such as chemistry and materials science to understand the behavior of atoms and molecules at the subatomic level. Additionally, the wavepacket concept is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and other high-energy physics experiments.