Waves of sine expression

1. "Waves" of sine expression

So, I have been working with a lot of Math today(sorry if I am asking so many questions), and I found and expression. All sine functions use radians.

sin(y) + sin(y) / sin(y)

Now, assuming you start with 1, if you were to plot y on a graph with variable x increasing each time calculated, you would get something like this:

This image isn't mine, so this is just something identicle.

Can this be explained?
  2. jcsd
  3. Re: "Waves" of sine expression

Two things.

First of all, the equation can be simplified. Depending on the use of parentheses, if you mean [itex]\ sin(y)[/itex]+[itex]\frac{ sin(y)}{ sin(y)}[/itex], this simplifies to [itex]\ sin(y)+1[/itex]

If you meant [itex]\frac{ sin(y)+ sin(y)}{ sin(y)}[/itex], this simplifies to the number 2.

In the latter case, it is a null statement, but assuming you meant the first equation, the sine function is defined in a couple of cool ways (the easiest being the ratio of the opposite and hypotenuse of a right triangle), and it turns out when you define a function that way it repeats itself like a wave.
  4. Re: "Waves" of sine expression

Thank you for the explanation. I was wondering why it did that(it was obvious, but any who).

But the expression sin(y) + sin(2*pi) / tan(y) does the same thing. Can that be explained?
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  5. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 41,260
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: "Waves" of sine expression

Because [itex]sin(2\pi)= 0[/itex]! And [itex]tan(y)= sin(y)/cos(y)[/itex] so that
    [tex]\frac{sin(y)+ sin(2\pi)}{tan(y)}= \frac{sin(y)}{\frac{sin(y)}{cos(y)}}= sin(y)\frac{cos(y)}{sin(y)}= cos(y)[/tex]
  6. Re: "Waves" of sine expression

And in a more general way, all of the trigonometric functions are periodic, so any combination of trig functions with also be periodic.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?