Periodicity of Trigonometric Functions: Exploring Waves of Sine Expressions

In summary, the given expression is a simplified form of the sum of two sine functions, which can be explained through the periodic nature of trigonometric functions.
greggory
"Waves" of sine expression

So, I have been working with a lot of Math today(sorry if I am asking so many questions), and I found and expression. All sine functions use radians.

sin(y) + sin(y) / sin(y)

Now, assuming you start with 1, if you were to plot y on a graph with variable x increasing each time calculated, you would get something like this:

wave_amplitude_line.png

This image isn't mine, so this is just something identicle.

Can this be explained?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Two things.

First of all, the equation can be simplified. Depending on the use of parentheses, if you mean [itex]\ sin(y)[/itex]+[itex]\frac{ sin(y)}{ sin(y)}[/itex], this simplifies to [itex]\ sin(y)+1[/itex]

If you meant [itex]\frac{ sin(y)+ sin(y)}{ sin(y)}[/itex], this simplifies to the number 2.

In the latter case, it is a null statement, but assuming you meant the first equation, the sine function is defined in a couple of cool ways (the easiest being the ratio of the opposite and hypotenuse of a right triangle), and it turns out when you define a function that way it repeats itself like a wave.

Thank you for the explanation. I was wondering why it did that(it was obvious, but any who).

But the expression sin(y) + sin(2*pi) / tan(y) does the same thing. Can that be explained?

Last edited:

Because [itex]sin(2\pi)= 0[/itex]! And [itex]tan(y)= sin(y)/cos(y)[/itex] so that
[tex]\frac{sin(y)+ sin(2\pi)}{tan(y)}= \frac{sin(y)}{\frac{sin(y)}{cos(y)}}= sin(y)\frac{cos(y)}{sin(y)}= cos(y)[/tex]

And in a more general way, all of the trigonometric functions are periodic, so any combination of trig functions with also be periodic.

What is a sine expression?

A sine expression is a mathematical equation that represents a wave-like pattern. It is written as y = A sin(Bx + C), where A is the amplitude, B is the frequency, and C is the phase shift.

How is a sine expression graphed?

A sine expression is graphed by plotting points on a coordinate plane using the values of A, B, and C. The graph will show a repeating wave pattern as the value of x increases.

What is the relationship between the amplitude and frequency of a sine expression?

The amplitude and frequency of a sine expression are inversely proportional. This means that as the amplitude increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be seen in the shape of the graph.

Can a sine expression have a negative amplitude or frequency?

Yes, a sine expression can have a negative amplitude or frequency. This will result in a reflection of the graph over the x-axis or y-axis, respectively.

What real-life phenomena can be modeled using a sine expression?

Sine expressions can be used to model a variety of real-life phenomena, such as sound waves, light waves, and the movement of a pendulum. They can also be used to describe periodic behaviors, like the changing of seasons or the tides.