Why Does Pouring Water on a Burning Wax Bomb Create a Larger Flame?

• Thread starter wk1989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wax Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the experience of playing with wax bombs as a child and stumbling upon a guide to recreate it. The speaker is unsure of why pouring water on the burning wax causes a huge flame and asks for an explanation. The website explains that the increase in volume of the water turning into steam causes the molten wax to atomize and create a significant flame. The conversation ends with a warning about potential danger.
wk1989
I remember playing with these things when I was small and today I happened to stumble upon this page describing how to recreate what I had done. However, I never actually figured out why it works and my memory is a bit fuzzy since it's been so long since I tried doing it again. So if you know how it works, please explain it. Basically, I don't understand why you would get a huge flame when you pour water on the burning wax?

http://naturallight.wordpress.com/2007/01/15/how-to-make-a-wax-bomb/

Chemistry news on Phys.org
water is converted to steam with great increase of volume. Increased volume atomizes molten wax, still burning, causing significant... effect.

You'll put your eye out.

Wax bombs work by utilizing the properties of combustion and the reaction between wax and water. When you light the wick of the wax bomb, the heat from the flame melts the wax and turns it into a liquid. As the liquid wax heats up, it begins to vaporize and mix with the air.

When you pour water on the burning wax, the water quickly cools down the hot wax and causes it to solidify. This sudden change in temperature creates a rapid expansion of the wax, which releases a large amount of energy in the form of heat and light. This is known as an exothermic reaction.

The sudden release of energy also creates a pressure wave, similar to a small explosion, which causes the flame to grow larger and brighter. The heat from the reaction also ignites the remaining wax, creating a larger flame.

In summary, when you pour water on a burning wax bomb, you are essentially triggering a chemical reaction that rapidly releases energy, resulting in a bigger flame. It is important to note that this activity can be dangerous and should be done with caution and proper safety measures in place.

1. How do wax bombs work?

Wax bombs work by combining a flammable wax with a combustible fuel, such as gasoline. When the bomb is ignited, the wax melts and mixes with the fuel, creating a highly flammable liquid that explodes upon contact with oxygen.

2. What materials are used to make wax bombs?

The main materials used to make wax bombs include wax, such as paraffin or beeswax, and a combustible fuel, such as gasoline. Other materials may also be added for additional effects, such as color dyes or shrapnel.

3. Are wax bombs dangerous?

Yes, wax bombs can be dangerous if mishandled. They are highly flammable and can cause serious burns or injuries if they explode near a person or property. It is important to handle and use wax bombs with caution and in a safe environment.

4. How do wax bombs explode?

Wax bombs explode when the flammable mixture of melted wax and fuel comes into contact with oxygen. This creates a sudden burst of heat and energy, causing the bomb to explode and release the liquid mixture in all directions.

5. Are wax bombs legal?

The legality of wax bombs varies depending on the location. In some places, they may be considered illegal explosives and their possession or use may result in criminal charges. It is important to check with local laws and regulations before making or using wax bombs.